Game fails to load past the company logo while the music continues to play

Drethic

• Bug name: Game fails to load past the company logo while the music continues to play
  • Bug description: After downloading and install the game for the first time my daughter is unable to load the game.  She gets the company logo to appear on the screen then it freezes.  The music does continue to play.
  • OS (PC, Mac, etc.): Mac OS X Version 10.9.5; 8 Gig Memory
  • Repro steps: From a fresh install try to launch the game.
  • Screenshot if it's relevant: N/A, but can get a picture if needed.
  • Coordinates in the world if it's relevant: N/A
  • Visibility: Always
  • Additional troubleshooting steps:
    • Tried to use the -force-d3d9 flag
    • Tried to use the -graphics-low flag
    • Tried to check "verify integrity of game cache"
    • Tried to reinstall the game
  • Log file: http://pastebin.com/Uwbw5m0j

Sorry about that - bit of an autopilot suggestion for the symptoms you're seeing - What happens if you hit esc when the company logo appears? While it's not a fix, you may be able to skip the cinematic still, and get into game. It sounds like the game may be still running as it's still playing audio in the background (it's possible the crash we see in the log file is from the game being closed manually, which would explain why it does not look to be coming from us.)

I'd also like to get you to try deleting the save folder, you can find it here:  /users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark - the quickest way to find it is by going to Go/Go To Folder then paste that path. 

Not a problem, I understand autopilot :)

When hitting escape, nothing changes and all she sees is a partial logo and the spinning wheel of her cursor.

When trying to remove the save file, she went to the folder /users/<her user>/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark and it was empty.

On March 29, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Drethic said:

Not a problem, I understand autopilot :)

When hitting escape, nothing changes and all she sees is a partial logo and the spinning wheel of her cursor.

When trying to remove the save file, she went to the folder /users/<her user>/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark and it was empty.

That empty folder may be the reason why your game won't load.

I'm not familiar at all with the game's file structure, but it almost feels like there's an orphan plist file somewhere in the System folder that is preventing the game from installing correctly. In that case finding that plist file, deleting it, and then reinstalling the game may allow it to complete the process normally and provide you with a full folder. But I don't know what such a file would look like, so I don't advise poking around in the System folder until I hear back from the devs . . .

Hopefully they'll get back to you soon! If not, that means we are getting close to release of the Story mode, and that may be a silver lining for you . . .

The folder being empty is not an issue - As mentioned earlier, according to the log the game is crashing outside of our code, which makes it particularly hard to debug. We believe this issue may be related to a Unity bug, we've upgraded Unity for our next release. While this is not a sure fire fix, this is the most likely cause. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issue on Macbook. Usually game starts with white screen, but no logo, music plays and nothing happens, no reaction from game.

I "force quit" the game and relaunch. 1 out of 4-5 tries usually leads to normal game start and I can play. BUT! This happens ONLY if the game starts in fullscreen mode. If the game was exited in windowed mode and starts in windowed mode - this bug still happens (white screen and no logo) but the game DOES react on mouse clicks or keyboard keys and proceeds to the game menu.

So my way to play is this: before quitting the game I switch to windowed mode. Next time I launch the game it starts 100% and I just switch to fullscreen and play.

Hope this workaround helps to play for other Mac people.

I doubt that this is a TLD bug - my TLD game starts fine in Mac OS X (on a 2012 Macbook Pro, no less) in full windowed mode. For a while there, it was not playing the cutscenes from the intro, but progressed through the intro music. Pressing any key brought it into the normal game menu and from there it played fine. 

But since the last beta update (I am a beta tester for Mac OS X El Capitan) it's been showing the full intro movie in windowed mode just fine. 

I wonder if it has to do with the graphics setup on your particular Mac?

Archived