Coop in sandbox

OHN0U81

I was thinking you could have like 2-4 players with you in the sandbox... I really think you and 1 other person is good enough but more is fun to.

I love this game and I really think coop even with 1 other person would be fun

how do you think the sleeping mechanism would work? or the crafting mechanism? The day-night cycle and passage of time has to be constant, so when one person goes to sleep, everyone has to go to sleep, or when one person has to craft, everyone has to craft for the same amount of time.

What is you have two people on opposite sides of the map? how do they sync up their sleeping/crafting/eating habits?

They entire game hinges on these attributes of faster time passage, which can only really be implemented in single-player.

To Whom It May Concern,

Thank you for creating a wonderful game! Would you kindly consider adding a cooperative play feature to the game on the grounds that you can choose between either a male and/or female at the beginning of the game? One player could simply be the male character, and the opposite could be said female character! Since NPCs would be present in the story, could the second (assistive) player at the very least be "invisible" to the story (if need be, to avoid altering the story, like a drop-in, drop-coop sort of play). I'm suggesting this so that the game programmers don't have to put in as much work to accomplish it. Minimal effort is asked in adding a cooperative mode. It doesn't have to be an MMO nor does it have to "multiplayer" in nature. Simply a request for TWO PLAYER COOPERATIVE mode. This is because the sandbox is big, lonely, and w/ a friend, story mode or not, the game would have such a unique unforgettable story, that a COOP mode alone would make a story nearly unnecessary.

If you added no other feature to the game and released it as-is today....if you added a TWO-PLAYER COOP mode, this game would sell itself w/ infinite replayability, not to mention that game difficulty levels would be an even more welcome challenge knowing that you both could back each other up as well as have TWO backpacks to store gear. TWO of everything! I believe this would pioneer your game as I don't know of any game like the Long Dark, let alone one w/ a coop mode.

I ask kindly that you please consider this feature. I assure you that I am not the only individual that would appreciate this feature. I play your game on the Xbox One via Xbox Live. Thanks for reading, and God bless!

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

• 2 weeks later...

This is just silly how no one is jumping aboard this bandwagon to ask for a single, couch coop/2 player online option for this game. I have been saddened. The harsh reality is that survival is easier in a pair. Ask any knowlegable survivalist.

"It is not good for man to be alone." (Genesis) If God said it....someone, somewhere should...."listen".

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

This is just silly how no one is jumping aboard this bandwagon to ask for a single, couch coop/2 player online option for this game. I have been saddened. The harsh reality is that survival is easier in a pair. Ask any knowlegable survivalist.

It might be easier in many cases, but that has little to do with the game. If you want the game to be easier, play on Pilgrim :)

Did you read the post above questioning the OP's suggestion? How would the mechanics involving passage of time work? The core of the game would have to be changed to the point of needing a clean-sheet design.

It would need to change some of the mechanics of the game :

→ Instead of staying in the menu when you burn something, you will just wait for it to burn.

→ The time could only go faster when both of the players are sleeping, or agreed to make time go faster (add a "wait" possibility) or while one is crafting, the other may sleep. That could be add a quite good surviving experience when a players need to eat and the other one needs to sleep, or something like this. Maybe you could imagine that the both need to sleep the same time. You will need to go along with the players like you would had to in real life.

I just wanted to mean that its not something impossible to accomplish. But this is not in the mind of the studio to develop the game in a coop game, the essence of the game is solo, and it's the reason we will maybe never survive with a fellow companion in TLD. Though, I like to imagine how good it could be to share the experience of surviving with someone !

Did you read the post above questioning the OP's suggestion? How would the mechanics involving passage of time work? The core of the game would have to be changed to the point of needing a clean-sheet design.

The passage of time would be linked, shared between the two players. Much like in games where a two-player team shares the same pool of money. When any player does an activity that "takes time", the time passage screen would pop up for both players, then and there, asking BOTH players to confirm/vote on the change. If one player disagrees, the passage of time activity will NOT take place. Both players would have to agree to allow for the harvesting of trees, crafting items at a table, etc.

Once the players mutually agree on the activity, it will proceed accordingly.

maybe future multiplay could be 2-4 players based on real hours / tld hours.

eg. 3 peeps want to play- a game goes for x amount of hours, each party must agree on time line.

Outcome - last man standing with what? most resources? health? etc. etc.

BTw - I'm very happy with solo play atm :) also huge cost in networking gamers and usually they fail so really think guys/girls. Personally I think this game should be Solo play ONLY.

maybe future multiplay could be 2-4 players based on real hours / tld hours.

eg. 3 peeps want to play- a game goes for x amount of hours, each party must agree on time line.

Outcome - last man standing with what? most resources? health? etc. etc.

BTw - I'm very happy with solo play atm :) also huge cost in networking gamers and usually they fail so really think guys/girls. Personally I think this game should be Solo play ONLY.

I created a post explaining my gameplay mechanics proposal for coop play. Please check it out! I hope it outlines this topic more clearly.

With all do respect, being against this post does not help its chances of being added to the game. Please keep that in mind when responding to this thread. Negative support is not support. If you don't agree with the idea, kindly remember that only positive affirmation would help it get into the game. You'll always have single player, no matter what. Please don't jeopardize coop play for others who would like to have it.

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

Archived