Save and/only on quit

octavian

i think Quit is there for sandbox?

I don't understand. Yes, this is sandbox. :?:

You can't quit whenever you want without losing progress, you have to look for a door or bed first, there's no reason why this should be. Not to mention not saving on quit can, and probably is, abused.

yeah I wondered why there is no save button option as well. I think that is what your asking?

Edit: to me the game runs fine so far without it.

all you need todo is quit after the game saves it self. be it sleep or enter a building and will be your last save.

yeah I wondered why there is no save button option as well. I think that is what your asking?

No, I'm not asking for a save button, I'm asking for the game to save when you quit. And for this to be made clear by having it say "save and quit" instead of "quit".

all you need todo is quit after the game saves it self. be it sleep or enter a building and will be your last save.

Sure, until you have to leave home in a hurry and you're nowhere near a door or a bed.

so the quit button should say quit - will save your last sleep or entered building?

No, the quit button shuld say "save and quit", pressing it would save where you stand -like when breaking an ankle- then quit. So when you load you continue from where you left off. What's not clear? :D

I understand what you say: saving+quitting can give the opportunity to leave the game when circumstances in the real world force you to shut off your computer and go away.

BUT (the problem)

In my opinion the Long Dark was built with the aim of create the following mood in the player: "I cannot be safe when I go outside - I must check every step I do". Safe places are sanctuaries, as they would be in a situation like that.

Your solution can worn this atmosphere. You see a difficult situation, far away form any safe place, you save and quit, reload and try what you want to do (shooting to the bear over there, taking a path on your left instead of taking the other etc...).

The Save and Quit option would deprive players of their risk-feelings, and these feelings are pillars of this game.

Ok, somehow you can do what I described above nearby buildings (I go in, I save, I go out and if the things get bad i reload), but I suppose that this solution shouldn't be boosted more than this.

But...why don't you try to sleep one hour outside? It's risky but as a emergency saving mode it can work.

You see a difficult situation, far away form any safe place, you save and quit, reload and try what you want to do (shooting to the bear over there, taking a path on your left instead of taking the other etc...).

Uh, the game is paused, you can press load.

Uh, the game is paused, you can press load.

True, in fact you can do it right now. But sometimes a dangerous situation happens after 40 minutes of play outside, and going back to your base with LOAD and do everything again is as hard (or harder) than fighting the danger or survive to it in some way.

I mean...If a game offers a lot of saves to play, I suppose that the strategies required by the game need a considerable amount of savings. I don't play hardcore "just to prove that I am tough", if i know that the game expects a save option. I appreciate the TLD choice of giving few chances to feel you character invulnerable (or, at least, able to avoid any real trouble).

P.S. What if the game no longer saved when you slept, used a door or got injured? What if it only saved on quit. Wouldn't that solve save scumming problems? Or am I missing something obvious?

In this case, for me it's okay, expect injuries/Attacks savings: the Saving after a bad unexpected event is to your detriment, and I think it is necessary. You are in trouble, and you cannot go back.

In this case, for me it's okay, expect injuries/Attacks savings: the Saving after a bad unexpected event is to your detriment, and I think it is necessary. You are in trouble, and you cannot go back.

Good point, I'll edit my OP.

Edit: Actually I won't, forgot I already appended my OP :lol:

Edit: what if -got the idea talking with members- the load button went away and the game would no longer save when resting, using a door or getting injured but only save on quit.

If they remove the load button it wouldn't matter anymore if it saves on injury or not would it? Because you're either playing the game or you save and quit. So it makes no difference, if you get injured there is no way to go back to a time when you were not injured.

The reason the game doesn't save when you quit/ exit is simple:

What if some bug happened, like you getting stuck in the map somewhere? Now when you quit, the game would save and you'll be stuck there forever... You'd need to start a new game.

Maybe saving on exit will be implemented for the final game, but not while we're still in alpha.

A simple solution would of course be to give the player the option to save when quitting.

But then there would still be the possibility of abuse by using it to create a manual save point. You could exit to save, then continue and if you don't like what happens, just hit load to continue from the point where you exited.

The obvious solution would be do remove the load button from the in-game menu. You would have to exit the game to reload, but by exiting you would also save.

Anyway, I would like to option to save when exiting the game. It has happened to me twice that I had to stop while not near a building or bed(roll). Both times I left the computer on for hours because I didn't want to lose my progress.

What if some bug happened, like you getting stuck in the map somewhere? Now when you quit, the game would save and you'll be stuck there forever... You'd need to start a new game.

I don't think this is just cause to have it. What if some bug happens? Well, what if it doesn't?

In any case, I couldn't stand by and not at least draw attention to this issue.

I am good with permadeath,but being able to quit and save would be handy.

+1

But there should also be an option to quit without saving in case you get stuck somewhere due to bugs etc. (well, you can close TDL in the program manager, but it would be a shame to quit in a hurry and inadvertently ruin your save). Or at least it should say "save and quit" rather than just "quit".

If "Quit+Save" is to be introduced, the simple "Quit" button has to be taken away. And I guess the OP meant for this to be the case too.

I actually came in to suggest a feature to save without actually have to lose 1 in-game hour, but the OP's solution is far better and with the removal of the "Quit" button it should be fair.

There's always the condition where the player simply Alt+F4 out of the game avoiding the save, though.

If "Quit+Save" is to be introduced, the simple "Quit" button has to be taken away. And I guess the OP meant for this to be the case too.

Yes, that's what I meant. And the load button would have to go away too.

There's always the condition where the player simply Alt+F4 out of the game avoiding the save, though.

True. My point was the game being friendly towards you not being able to play anymore for the time being. To negate that sort of bypass is possible, either at the expense of time and money, and you have to argue benefit over cost, or you can do it for free at the expense of not covering for game/os bugs and crashes, hardware failures and power cuts.

The free way to do it is, the moment a game loads it automatically saves and in the save file your condition is 0% so you would get the game over screen loading a game closed by ALT+F4 or other means. The only way to avoid this would be to save and quit which would overwrite the nasty save file.

But then again, this would be an extremely blunt aproach. It would get the job done, sure, but it doesn't cover for unintentional exits from the game.

Edit: what if -got the idea talking with members- the load button went away and the game would no longer save when resting, using a door or getting injured but only save on quit.

I'd like if it worked that way, however on the same note, an autosave feature protects from severe loss if the game crashes, or some other unforeseen issue occurs. If anything, I'd have a save and quit feature, in conjunction with a stricter autosave system which activates in the case of various in game changes, such as weather transition and so on. This way the save system doesn't get abused. Not gonna lie, I've had a few odd occasions in my early days where I abused the save/load system because I didn't want to have my clothes destroyed in a storm or something, and I'm sure some may use it for the sake of avoiding death, anything is possible. So more forced autosaving may be useful.

Archived