Trail marking

hekele

I keep wanting to be able to tie one of my cloth strips to a tree here and there to help with trail marking. Other means like being able to build a rock cairn or carve on a tree with my knife would be great. I think I can probably accomplish limited marking with dropped and arranged sticks but haven't played with that yet.

+1 Great idea!

I think I can probably accomplish limited marking with dropped and arranged sticks but haven't played with that yet.

I've heard of players dropping water bottles or lighting campfires to mark trails. Personally, I've used snares as way points on trails. It's essential in poor visibility conditions to have some trail markers to avoid getting lost. Since players already mark trails it would be great if there was a mechanic in the game to further support it.

Personally, I'd like to see flag-tape in the game. I can't remember if I requested it or not already. Flag tape is quite common in the north especially around working areas (like the logging camp) to mark off areas and trails. Like you pointed out though marking a tree with a knife or axe would work just as well. The catch is if you're blazing a trail by scraping off bark then you have to remember to mark BOTH sides of the trunk :)

I was thinking of flag-tape too, especially in the logging areas, but figured cloth would be easier to implement since it already exists. I'd be all for flags instead.

That'd be a neat idea. Then it's the choice between cloth for repairs or cloth for trail marking.

Only difficulty is seeing the dark coloured cloth on a dark background (trees/rocks). Maybe if they had a brighter coloured cloth?

Not sure about tinder plugs but my sticks have stayed put for thee game days so far, and other inventory I've dropped when overburdened hasn't disappeared.

Cool, thanks will try again. Sticking to my guns on not googling maps would come in really useful and have been too lazy to pull out my crayons and make my own.

Don't they vanish?

I tried this with tinder plugs as an experiment to mark a building as foraged dropping one by the door and it was gone when I returned.

Can't speak for everyone but snares (even broken) will stay up for at least a week in game time.

I would also recommend looking at a map only once you're sure you've explored everything in the area you're in. It's neat to see all the stuff that you may have missed :)

I would also recommend looking at a map only once you're sure you've explored everything in the area you're in. It's neat to see all the stuff that you may have missed :)

I'll just soldier on, been using the percentage explored as a rough indicator. Sprained a few ankles in random places off the beaten track, hopefully one day a map will be in game with a fog of war.

Archived