Building

totorbanana

I have a suggestion for Sandbox Mode. You should be able to build a small shelter with materials found in various locations. Maybe you could use a tarp found in Desolate Point for a small tent (there's a couple on the floor in Hibernia Processing). Maybe you should be able to make a makeshift lean-to in Timberwolf Mountain (because let's be honest. It's IMPOSSIBLE to survive there if you don't know EVERY SINGLE location really well AND carry a **** ton of firewood). These shelters should not be OP; but they should provide shelter from the wind, snow, and maybe even sleep without a fire.

I have a suggestion for Sandbox Mode. You should be able to build a small shelter with materials found in various locations. Maybe you could use a tarp found in Desolate Point for a small tent (there's a couple on the floor in Hibernia Processing). Maybe you should be able to make a makeshift lean-to in Timberwolf Mountain (because let's be honest. It's IMPOSSIBLE to survive there if you don't know EVERY SINGLE location really well AND carry a **** ton of firewood). These shelters should not be OP; but they should provide shelter from the wind, snow, and maybe even sleep without a fire.

I like this idea this will be very helpful when you are deep in to some forest and you need wood but there is no shelter to spend the night or get yourself warm a little in order to continue gathering limbs. Because as it is now no one dares to collect wood far away from the shelter. Having this option causes more interaction with the world and it is not OP, the DEVS. had considered this option in the previous builds there was an icon build temp. shelter but it got scrubbed for some reason so maybe they will add it in the future I sure hope so.

To be honest, I dont want this game to turn into all the other survival games out there where it turns into a building game. I would like some basic improvised shelters like lean to or a snow cave, but I really think at this stage all the maps are just too abundant in shelters and the requirement to build one (materials + time) just doesn't make it worth it unfortunately.

Even though I love this game, I find there are too many shelters (buildings, caves etc) and too many resources. Would love to be able to play a new difficulty where most shelters are burned down (unable to enter) and I have to sleep outside on most days using an improvised shelter.

Currently as the game stands it just wouldnt make sense to have improvised shelters imo

The snow shelter option was selectable in the user interface in old alpha versions of the game, albeit it wasn't functional. Later on it was taken, as if this option is currently not planned anymore. At least it is very unlikely, that this will happen as it stands.

I doesn't even have to be as detailed as that. Why not just have 2 person tents in the game and have them as random as rifles. They could wear like everything else and utilize 1 cloth + 1 cured leather for each repair increment.

You could step into it just like a building, it would have enough room to drop a bedroll and put a few items down if you wanted to take some weight off while sleeping.

• 2 weeks later...

or a simple lean too where you have to collect x number of limbs, use cured gut and you can build a temporary shelter. It only protects from one direction but you can put a roll in it and a fire next to it. Then you can reduce the number of actual shelters needed (in new regions perhaps (Timberwolf mountain is a good example of where this could be useful).

If we're going to have any type of shelter of this sort, I'd like to see Hinterland bring back the old snow shelter option from early alpha. It wasn't functional, but snow shelters are an excellent survival choice due to the face that they provide warmth (equal to a fire) and hide you from predators. Also, they really take no time to make.

However, I would presume that, due to the fact that it was taken out, no work has been continued on the matter.,

The "dig a snow cave" would be nice to see added back in. Building tents and lean-tos would be a lot of extra complexity as far as when/how they can be built and where they can be placed and the amount of resources and energy required. Maybe add a shovel as a requirement for digging but keeping the game simple and minimalist is better.

Maybe you should be able to make a makeshift lean-to in Timberwolf Mountain (because let's be honest. It's IMPOSSIBLE to survive there if you don't know EVERY SINGLE location really well AND carry a **** ton of firewood).

To address the original poster's criticism I did not experience this problem on Timberwolf mountain even though I was exploring it blind. On my second run to the top (had to retreat the first time because I forgot my bedroll) I was able to always find a shelter by nightfall and sleep until the next morning. There are several caves on the various routes to the top. All the caves (that have interior spaces!) are separate from the main map, have some warmth and do not have windchill. If you're pushing for the top these caves are the exact temporary shelter you need (probably why the devs included them) so you can make it without dying.

Archived