Being able to look around while walking/running/moving

SwissArmy

I would suggest adding an additional function to be able to move your head/direction of vision without affecting the direction you're walking in. For example, be able to press and keep the Alt key down and moving your head with your mouse while continuing to walk in the same direction.

Just use your WASD keys, when you are turning to look around. It just need a little coordination of both hands. There is no need to complicate it with extra key and movement limits for head turning.

I agree. Moving while looking around already works just fine. As far as I can tell, there is no speed penalty for walking backwards either, so no reason to change anything.

Just use your WASD keys, when you are turning to look around. It just need a little coordination of both hands. There is no need to complicate it with extra key and movement limits for head turning.

I agree. Moving while looking around already works just fine. As far as I can tell, there is no speed penalty for walking backwards either, so no reason to change anything.

True. But it appears that a whole lot of people somehow fail to understand these movement options. If you watch some "average Joe's" TLD Youtube videos, at least half of them don't look around at all while moving.

I don't believe that pressing Alt (or any other shortcut combination) would do any good, though. Those who fail to realize that they can also move side-and backwards (with A, D and S) would almost certainly not understand the Alt-solution either.

Maybe adding some kind of tutorial screen (with basic movement and interaction tips) when you start TLD for the very first time might help, I really don't know.

Whatever the perfect solution to this problem may be, it has to be extremely simple and intuitive. Otherwise those who would benefit from a change won't get it. Which would be pretty ironic. ^^

The "press ALT for free look" idea probably comes out of DayZ (ARMA II) where sideways and backwards movement is severely handicapped. In this game its easy enough to side strafe and look around, but if players want the option (or lack the coordination to use both hands like that) it doesn't hurt the WASD crowd to implement it.

Archived