Do the fridges work?

Sommarkatze

Hi, I just stumbled across a dead bear so I spent all night bringing meat back to my cabin. However I cant eat it all at once, and I dont want it to be ruined over time so I put some in the fridge. I think its slowly degrading though. So I put the rest in the trunk of a car just outside.

So my question is. Do the fridges work? ( I know there is no power, but maybe? :) ) or are they better of in an container outside in the cold?

Thanks

the answer would be no and yes. lol. there is no power, so they are not operational. however, they are treated same as any other container. items stored in them degrade much slower than if left on the floor. there is no way to prevent meat from degrading, but storing it in any container (including fridges and trunks) slows the process significantly.

hrmm, i never thought of using a car trunk for storage.

Please note you can use this to your advantage. Suppose you use an advanced technique of using rabbit snares to catch rabbits, baiting wolves with the rabbit meat that is raw, and then shooting the wolves that are baited as they come in for the meat with a bow. This allows you to take the higher calorie/weight meat, while also using the raw meat from the lower calorie/lb density meat as well. Store both meats in a large container like fridge or freezer, if you also throw a bear into the mix, you can then move the meat that is raw out should you get ahead on your raw meat supply and put it on the floor or ground.

I also don't store water in the containers ever. Everything that isn't meat you can fit into the oven too.

Fridges do not preserve degration any more than any other container. I'm not positive, but I think there is a difference between containers outdoor and indoors however. I haven't tested it too extensively but it seems that meat stored in a backpack outside will degrade faster than meat stored in any indoor container. It makes me wonder about the rate at which meat will spoil in the trunk of a car outside. It might be better to at least store it somewhere inside, but maybe a trunk of a car is the same. It's worth checking out just for the heck of it, but I've never found the need to store anything in a car trunk. There is more than enough storage room inside most buildings to store meat.

The only things that benefit from being stored in an indoor container (as opposed to being left on the floor indoors) are meat, some packaged food, matches and I'm pretty sure clothing. I may have missed something, but the point is most things can just be stored on the floor or set on shelves, tables, etc with the relatively new placement system to tidy it up (right clicking on an item dropped on the floor to pick it up and left clicking to place it almost on any surface indoors)

• 1 month later...

Archived