My Ideas / Love this game!

SithWizard

Let me start off by saying that I love the game.

So lets get to the ideas.

1. Hand guns. Close range weapon, lower damage than a rifle, possibly used as a defense in a wolf attack.

2. Shotguns. Huge close range damage, poor long range damage, good for hunting pheasant or rabbit.

3. Pheasants or grouse as hunting animals.

4. Kodiak / grizzly bears. Bigger, meaner, more aggressive and harder to drop than a brown bear.

5. Polar bears. like the kodiak / grizzly bear except being white they are harder to see. Also they are known to actually stalk and hunt humans when hungry.

6. Hygiene. Lets face it, your going to smell bad and need to cleanup from time to time. Adding a hygiene meter would be interesting. If it falls to zero you could possibly become sick with dysentery, scurvy or simply be less effective at doing ordinary tasks. Use water to clean yourself at a sink, shower or bath tub location. Just for flavor.. maybe have it as an on / off game option.

7. More maps. Perhaps by traveling through many maps you can make it to a town or small city where you can even meet other survivors and trade items? With enough maps you could eventually travel through entire regions down from Canada into the US and beyond.

8. More wildlife. Canada is famous for moose, also a bull moose in rut is very dangerous. Wild turkeys, grouse, or whatever else. Wolverines would be dangerous as well.

9. A 4th difficulty setting. Weather might be bad more often, wolves could travel in packs? Simply dropping a torch would wolves or a pack to attack from another angle, moving around the player.

10. Horror level. A special sandbox variant of the game that focuses on scaring the player. Creepy sounds, a blood red moon, a werewolf (the kind from nightmares that walks upright) might actively hunt the player on full moons. Sasquatch could be fun as well, perhaps it would be an elusive creature but could attack the place your sleeping in at night. Simulated sounds of breaking glass and large rocks hitting the place your in would wake you up at night. Suffer from a bad nights sleep and suffer rapid tiredness for 24 hours. Perhaps it could even physically attack you if provoked.

:D

1. Absolutely

2. Yes, please.

3. +1

4. Meh. Don't really care for more bears...

5. Same here... maybe on the coastal maps this would be cool. But I think we're too far South for that...

6. I think a mood-meter (like in This War of Mine) would be more important. Also Scurvy is caused by lack of Vitamin C, you can wash as much as you like, you're still going to get it if you live on a meat-only diet. Mhmmm... what do the Innuit actually do about this?

7. More maps, bigger maps, even more climate zones... yes, please ^^

8. +1

9. Mhmm... nah, I want a realistic difficulty setting, not a more difficult setting.

10. I would prefer Hinterland to focus on other things and leave this to modders. And I think they are definitely not going to implement supernatural stuff or monsters...

Also Scurvy is caused by lack of Vitamin C, you can wash as much as you like, you're still going to get it if you live on a meat-only diet. Mhmmm... what do the Innuit actually do about this?

"Vitamin C is obtained through sources such as caribou liver, kelp, whale skin, and seal brain; because these foods are typically eaten raw or frozen, the vitamin C they contain, which would be destroyed by cooking, is instead preserved" Inuit diet nutrition

We should have the option to eat raw some of the organs, marrow and fat. Food poisoning is not as much of an issue with raw meat unless you kill an animal and do not open the gut cavity to promote cooling on a large animal.

Eating some organ meat raw to prevent scurvy is an interesting idea for the game!

5. Animals in general prefer to avoid humans, polar bears or not.

They smell funny, have 2 many bones or 2 much fat laced with various poisonous chemicals from long periods of consuming garbage like burgers. They also make a lot of noise, which is annoying.

6. It could be a good idea, as long as they wont implement some idiotic americanized version of it. Like in "Sheltered", where my fker... survivors just HAVE to take a friggin shover at least every 2 days.

While in extreme conditions people can go without a bath for weeks at the time. Get a piece of wet cloth and wipe urself with it, then clean cloth, all done.

7. First, why would any1 would wannt to travel to US, and second, since were in north Canada, it would be a looooong way to go.

8. Its the middle of the winter, i seriously doubt that rut would be an issue. Tad 2 late for that. Lake and bay completely frozen over, fishing huts... Doesnt look much like september-oktober to me.

10. Erm... No, just no, nope...

5. Animals in general prefer to avoid humans, polar bears or not.

They smell funny, have 2 many bones or 2 much fat laced with various poisonous chemicals from long periods of consuming garbage like burgers. They also make a lot of noise, which is annoying.

6. It could be a good idea, as long as they wont implement some idiotic americanized version of it. Like in "Sheltered", where my fker... survivors just HAVE to take a friggin shover at least every 2 days.

While in extreme conditions people can go without a bath for weeks at the time. Get a piece of wet cloth and wipe urself with it, then clean cloth, all done.

7. First, why would any1 would wannt to travel to US, and second, since were in north Canada, it would be a looooong way to go.

8. Its the middle of the winter, i seriously doubt that rut would be an issue. Tad 2 late for that. Lake and bay completely frozen over, fishing huts... Doesnt look much like september-oktober to me.

10. Erm... No, just no, nope...

1. Polar bears do indeed hunt and kill humans.

2. I am not talking TV shows, have you ever been in the infantry? Field sanitation is important, boil water and wet cloth to clean etc. This is just a base idea, I am not saying the game needs running showers.

3. Why wouldn't you want to make your way down from the arctic to a warmer climate in sandbox? Don't like the USA then stay out and go wherever.

4. Rut or not a bull moose will wreck you worse than you think.

5. Erm yes...just yes.. a nightmare level would be easy to add and it would be fun.

Bye bye

1. Signal gun stands this part, I think.

2. I don't think shotgun gives a good quality pelt and meat.

3. Um.. If it is worth calorie more than rabbit I will hunt.

4. I think it's better to add different type of animals. Also it is strong but Is strategy changes like wolf and bear? Only more bullet and going away needed.

5. +1 Stalker? Good idea. It will be thrill more than the Fluffy.

6. Good difficulty one. I agree.

7. In my opinion Contents are needed more than Bigger maps.

8. Yes. more types of animal it needs as real Canada but when game adds animals some worth is needed and balanced.

9. I think Stalker mode is enough to pressure.

10. This game is based on realistic survival. When I feel scare is when a wolf follows me or suddenly bark.

I very much agree with the different weapons in the game. However, given weight capacity, you would likely only be able to carry one long arm at a time, and MAYBE the pistol if you had some extra space. I would likely keep the rifle, scare wolves away with the flare, and then run like hell in the other direction. (That's just me)

For the new game animals, I also agree, along with a craftable slingshot (which is what you tend to use for fowl hunting). I've also thought about a couple new regions, which I'll be posting in my own thread later today. This would require some other game animals that I've thought of, and some you hae already mentioned here.

Hygiene, yes. But it would be a little complicated. In person, I would warm up the water beforehand. Also, in line with this idea, I'd like to see soap of some sort as an object to be found in order to assist with this. Also, clothing could be washed, somehow.

Maps, I've already mentioned. Same with wildlife.

4th difficulty...I LIKE the ideas for it, but that could be incorporated into Stalker mode. I'm no computer programmer, but I would imagine that it may be a little difficult. But again, I have no clue at all. Weather however, is a completely random factor: even in Pilgrim, you can get blizzards lasting two, three, even four days. You just have to hope that, wherever you are, you have what you need to survive and wait out that storm.

As for the idea of a horror mode, no. Hinterland has already mentioned that this game is not for the supernatural. No zombies, aliens, or werewolves. It is what drew me to the game (besides my survivalist heart and passion for the north), and I'd like to see it stay as such.

4th difficulty...I LIKE the ideas for it, but that could be incorporated into Stalker mode. I'm no computer programmer, but I would imagine that it may be a little difficult. But again, I have no clue at all. Weather however, is a completely random factor: even in Pilgrim, you can get blizzards lasting two, three, even four days. You just have to hope that, wherever you are, you have what you need to survive and wait out that storm.

Hmm one of the things that gets me is I know some players who play on stalker and the game is just too easy for them. So they do challenges such as living outdoors and only eating fish or refusing to enter buildings. The big one that gets me is you can simply drop a torch and walk away from a wolf while whistling a tune. Thats why I think we need a 4th difficulty setting.

The reason I even mentioned a shotgun is because of bears, I have shot a bear in the head twice and once in the chest / heart area and still had to follow him a country mile before he died. A 12 gauge slug at close range is devastating. Perhaps a high powered 308. Winchester rifle could be added as a very rare spawn? The rifle in the game looks to be based on the British 303. Lee Enfield rifle, which is capable of dropping a black bear in one shot to the head or heart and was widely used by Canadian rangers. Recently the rangers have been changing to the 308 Winchester.

Anyways there is always room for ideas, good or bad and the devs can sort them out :)

The reason I even mentioned a shotgun is because of bears, I have shot a bear in the head twice and once in the chest / heart area and still had to follow him a country mile before he died. A 12 gauge slug at close range is devastating. Perhaps a high powered 308. Winchester rifle could be added as a very rare spawn? The rifle in the game looks to be based on the British 303. Lee Enfield rifle, which is capable of dropping a black bear in one shot to the head or heart and was widely used by Canadian rangers. Recently the rangers have been changing to the 308 Winchester.

For bears especially grizzlies, you should not go in with less than a 340 (.338) magnum to ensure enough stopping power. You would also want a bullet weighing upward of 200 grains. You should never aim for the head shot on a bear (unless its charging and you aim centre of mass and pray); there is too much skull and bone and risk of a bad shot; not a clean kill. The very best shot is the heart and double lung shot. I posted information about that in another thread on one of these forums.

The 30-06 is a .308 calibre but it's not a magnum. it takes about 50 to 60 grains of powder. The Winchester 300 (308) magnum takes from 80 grains for the lightest bullet to about 75 grains for a 180 grain bullet and the muzzle velocities are well over 3000 fps except on the heaviest bullets. The 338 Remington Ultra Mag shoots a 200 grain bullet with around 100 grains of powder and pushes it out of the muzzle at over 3200 fps. At 200 yards with a high ballistic coefficient bullet, it still has tons of stopping power. If you are interested I can probably dig out the energy of the various bullets at each distance measured in foot pounds. The type of bullet also affects the choice of bullet placement; some are designed to fragment and others mushroom rapidly but stay together for neck and head shots which waste less meat.

In the game, they let you stop the bear with fire and shoot it between the eyes with a 30-06 which is a middling heavy gun. At 20 meters, you should be able to put the shot between the eyes and into the brain and the 30-06 at this distance has lots of stopping power.

Here is the formula for stopping power expressed as energy in foot-pounds.

bullet weight in grains x velocity**2 / 450400 = ft-lbs

eg 150 gr bullet at 2700 fps = 2428 ft-lbs

The 30-06 Sprinfield with 180gr jacketed SBT (Spitzer boat-tail high ballistic coefficient) loaded with 50 grains of IMR-4350 has muzzle velocity of 2469 therefore has muzzle energy of 2436 ft-lb. If a HOT load is used of 56 grains of IMR-4350 the muzzle velocity goes up to 2801 fps or ME of 3135 ft-lb.

If the 30-06 is loaded with a 200 grain HPBT (hollow point spitzer boat tail) and 47.5 grains of IMR-4320 has a muzzle velocity of 2502 fps or a ME of 2779 ft-lb. Not as much stopping power even with the large bullet. The ballistic coefficient is excellent at .565 so this bullet retains a lot of energy at range. [data from Lyman reloading handbook 9th Ed. © 2008]

[tab=30]

In a survey taken a few years ago, it was found that the most popular caliber with Alaskan professional hunters and guides responsible for "backing-up" their clients was the .338 Winchester Magnum. With typical factory loads using 225 to 250 grain premium bullets the .338 Win. Mag. has a ME of about 3860-4046 ft. lbs. and a maximum point blank range (+/- 3") of about 270 yards. These can be taken as ideal ballistics for hunting any of the great bears. Recoil energy runs about 34 ft. lbs. in an 8.5 pound rifle.

While grizzly, brown and polar bears have been killed at very short range and very long range, the preferred range is between 50 and 150 yards (or meters, if you prefer). This is close enough to allow accurate bullet placement and far enough to allow time for follow-up shots if required.

In closing I can only reiterate that while a rifle of adequate power is important when hunting any of the great bears, accurate bullet placement is absolutely paramount. Predators so massive and deadly should never be taken lightly. Hunters must be completely confident of their ability to put the first bullet where it will do the most good!

Grizzly, Brown and Polar Bear Cartridges By Chuck Hawks

Eating some organ meat raw to prevent scurvy is an interesting idea for the game!

Seconded. I love the idea of nutrition deficiency. If you can't get your hands on a can of peaches, you'll have to eat organ meat that decays within an hour or two. Prevents stockpiling and requires leaving your shelter more frequently.

Archived