Easiest Way To Kill Wolves or Bears

General_Zod

This must be a bug, but here's how killing is easy.

1. Find bear or wolf. When they begin to approach you...

2. Drop a flare between you and the wolf/bear.

3. Back up a bit, raise your rifle or bow.

4. They will charge you when you raise your weapon. The wolf or bear will run up to the flare and come to a dead halt.

5. Take your time, line up a head shot - you gotta save bullets...maybe use an bow instead.

6. BOOM, tasty, tasty sweet meat is yours.

Seriously, I had a bear that I shot 5 arrows into and he just shoot there until he died.

That's not a bug - it's currently by design. It has been present since around the introduction of the Coastal Highway map or earlier. It may possibly change by release time, but has been reported numerous times in streams and in feedback, as well as covered in numerous early versions of gameplay in YouTube videos.

Definitely not typical behaviour. Moving you to the tech forum for potential follow-up.
That's not a bug - it's currently by design. It has been present since around the introduction of the Coastal Highway map or earlier. It may possibly change by release time, but has been reported numerous times in streams and in feedback, as well as covered in numerous early versions of gameplay in YouTube videos.

So now the question is "who is right"? :D

It *has* been around at least since I started playing a few months ago and I've seen in it Youtube videos from before then. No idea if it's meant to work that way or not.

Other "easy" ways to kill...included here in case the devs want to re-balance around them.

Bear: Shoot a bear. Make sure you see the blood splash. Dive into a house. Wait about an hour. Exit the house. The bear will be quite close and quite dead. Turn the bear into underpants. Profit.

Wolf: Wait for a wolf to feed on a rabbit or deer. Sneak up to it from the side. If you're in crouch mode you can get pretty close and shoot it at what amounts to point blank range. I know it's "intended" to work this way right now but animals are not as stupid as the devs have programmed them to be. If you're out on a frozen lake and crouch, animals should not immediately ignore you.

Deer or Rabbit: Steal a kill off a wolf. Somewhat weirdly, if you can convince a wolf to run away from a fresh kill it won't return to it later, even if you leave the area. So if you can get a wolf to chase you into a house/enter the house/exit later, the corpse won't be ravaged.

On pilgrim:

Sleep and Kill: you can shoot a wolf/bear and if it runs away (but is bleeding/definitely shot) you can immediately drop your bedroll and sleep for an hour. It'll be safe on Pilgrim because animals won't attack you. When you wake up the animal will be quite close, and quite dead.

Mass extinction: If you can get a wolf near a multiple deer spawns you can basically herd it into killing several deer at once. Run it towards a deer, when it bring down the deer chase it away into the next one. On pilgrim the wolf won't attack you, only run away and then engage in hunting mode on the next deer that gets its' attention. My personal record for this is six kills off the same wolf (five deer and a rabbit).

Comment about blinds:

It might be nice if some thought was put into using the hunting blinds as areas for "easy-ish" hunting, while it becomes harder in other areas. The first time I saw found a blind in game I figured it was there for hunting and it took a lot of lost ammo before I realized it was just a feature of the landscape like a rock or tree.

Archived