Player attributes?

zerofoxtastic

I'm very new to TLD, so my apologies if I just have not figured this out yet in game or if it's been suggested. I love the running aspect (that you can only run for a certain length of time before running out of breath), but is it in the cards to do more with character creation/leveling up? Perhaps we (the player) can select certain attributes to start the game or perhaps we all start at zero/attributes are randomly generated, and over time you can build up your "skills" to help you survive. It's sort of similar to how we have "fire skills" or "clothing repair skills". However, I'm thinking this affects your character's general survivability, moreso than his/her chance of being successful at important tasks (e.g. starting a fire).

For instance, you could have categories like this:

1. Endurance - affects how long you can run for before getting winded; increases the amount of weight you can carry in your pack before slowing down.

2. Ability to withstand (cold, hunger, health issues) - kind of like how Wim Hof can withstand extreme cold better than other people, maybe our character loses warmth slower than others, or can stand being hungry for longer. By walking around and generally surviving, this will be built up over time.

3. Agility - affects how fast you walk/run; markedly improves your ability to evade predators

4. Intelligence/cunning - affects how well you are at performing hunting/fishing/craftsmanship. Decreases time it takes to cure hides/guts and the time it takes to craft items.

5. Orienteering - as you get to know an area, this skill is built up; because we don't have a map, maybe it increases the chance for a set of phrases denoting that you find a place is familiar "I feel like I've been here before" or "________(shelter) is definitely to the left of me". Could increase the probability of an alert popping up that there's shelter nearby. Maybe it unlocks a compass or something.

To increase difficulty, you could largely limit how much you can level up any attribute (so you can't "overpower" your character). Could allow player to choose attributes at the beginning, but you're stuck with that the whole game. Obviously these suggestions are based on what I know in the game so far; there are probably other possibilities for attributes that I can't think of.

Again, I'm a new player, so apologies if this has been announced/someone has already thought of this! Any thoughts (or suggestions, if I'm missing this already in the game) are greatly welcome.

5. Orienteering - as you get to know an area, this skill is built up; because we don't have a map, maybe it increases the chance for a set of phrases denoting that you find a place is familiar "I feel like I've been here before" or "________(shelter) is definitely to the left of me". Could increase the probability of an alert popping up that there's shelter nearby. Maybe it unlocks a compass or something.

That's really a great Idea!!!

+1 for the orienting really nice idea although it should not be persistent if you re-visit a particular location numerous times. For a good implementation it requires clever programming to recognize if you are lost or not, based on your current path.

For the rest I prefer fixed stats to be tied to the selection male/female character.

Archived