Harvest PINE NEEDLE TEA from confierous (pine tree) needles

SonoftheThrone

Allow the harvesting of pine needles from pine trees to make a hot cup of pine needle tea. The developers would determine what attribute bonuses would be allotted, if any, including the caloric intake value.

Also, please allow the harvest MAPLE TREE SAP from MAPLE TREES, since this is a Canadian game, after all. Again, the developers would determine all benefits of this and caloric intake. Eat the sap for a minimal caloric increase or add to tea to boost its flavor and benefits.

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

The sap isn't flowing in the wintertime. In fact, the sap is probably completely frozen.

Hence, no maple (or birch. Birch syrup is pretty good) sap for syrup.

Oh, and maple/birch syrup isn't exactly a "minimal caloric increase". (stolen shamelessly from wikipedia)

][align=center]Maple syrup

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 1,093 kJ (261 kcal)

Carbohydrates

67.09 g

Sugars 59.53 g

Dietary fiber 0 g

Fat

0.20 g

Protein

0 g

Vitamins

Thiamine (B1) (1%) 0.006 mg

Riboflavin (B2) (1%) 0.01 mg

Niacin (B3) (0%) 0.03 mg

Pantothenic acid (B5)

(1%) 0.036 mg

Vitamin B6 (0%) 0.002 mg

Minerals

Calcium (7%) 67 mg

Iron (9%) 1.20 mg

Magnesium (4%) 14 mg

Manganese (157%) 3.298 mg

Phosphorus (0%) 2 mg

Potassium (4%) 204 mg

Zinc (44%) 4.16 mg

Units

μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams

IU = International units

Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.

Source: USDA Nutrient Database[/align][/align]

While it isn't compressed fat, it has a hell of a lot of sugar, which is easy for the body to digest.

The sap isn't flowing in the wintertime. In fact, the sap is probably completely frozen.

Hence, no maple (or birch. Birch syrup is pretty good) sap for syrup.

Oh, and maple/birch syrup isn't exactly a "minimal caloric increase". (stolen shamelessly from wikipedia)

][align=center]Maple syrup

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)

Energy 1,093 kJ (261 kcal)

Carbohydrates

67.09 g

Sugars 59.53 g

Dietary fiber 0 g

Fat

0.20 g

Protein

0 g

Vitamins

Thiamine (B1) (1%) 0.006 mg

Riboflavin (B2) (1%) 0.01 mg

Niacin (B3) (0%) 0.03 mg

Pantothenic acid (B5)

(1%) 0.036 mg

Vitamin B6 (0%) 0.002 mg

Minerals

Calcium (7%) 67 mg

Iron (9%) 1.20 mg

Magnesium (4%) 14 mg

Manganese (157%) 3.298 mg

Phosphorus (0%) 2 mg

Potassium (4%) 204 mg

Zinc (44%) 4.16 mg

Units

μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams

IU = International units

Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.

Source: USDA Nutrient Database[/align][/align]

While it isn't compressed fat, it has a hell of a lot of sugar, which is easy for the body to digest.

Harvest tree bark. Heat up harvested wood in fire. Thaw frozen sap through heat of fire. Salvage what can be used. Good point on the frozen sap.

Yet....pine needles do not suffer this predicament. Les Stroud made pine needle tea from evergreen needles in the Alaskan snowy wilderness if I have my locale right. It was winter.

Also, your remark about "shamelessly stolen from wikipedia", was that a reference to the nutrition facts of maple syrup or were you suggesting something I posted? The way you wrote the statement, I couldn't tell your point of reference.

1) Good luck prying chunks of frozen bark off of a tree

2) That, coming from someone trained in wilderness survival, is nothing more than a waste of time and a waste of energy.

3) I never mentioned pine needles in my post, for that reason. Yes, pine needles are available year round.

My "Wikipedia" comment was about the nutritional information

Re: maple syrup--those stats are for maple syrup-- the sap is much more dilute-- I believe the ratio is 1/40th or so (e.g. 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup). Also, birch syrup seems to be less sugary in my experience :? .

Anyway, Boston123 is right, the sap isn't really available in the winter.

edit-- and most sap is down in the roots of the tree during the winter, so you'd not be able to extract any useful amount from bark.

edit2-- maple sap is extracted from wood (xylem tissue) rather than the bark of maple trees.

As to pine needles, so far there is cedar and fir (Douglas-fir specifically) in the game but no pines ;) Fear not, tea can be made from the leaves of cedar and Douglas-fir too :)

Pine needle tea seems a nice idea, but once again, could you please knock off the unnecessary capitalisation? it's quite obnoxious. If you want to bring attention to a specific word/concept, I would suggest you italicize or underline the specific word in question. Capitalisation is OK in moderation, however only when expressing specific emphasis or stressing a specific. The frequency of use you employ does nothing more than annoy, which detracts from what you are saying.

Archived