What do you take when moving?

Spiros

Greetings,

I've recently made the move to the CH from ML, and was wondering if there were certain items that is a must to bring to the new location.

I ended up bringing one of each cured item, and some medical supplies. It really bothered me to leave a few cabinet drawers of meat behind, for some reason. Even though it's obviously simulation, I still felt guilty wasting meat.. :(

Once I settled into one of the costal homes near the gas station I realized that I left a bunch of matches back at the camp office, along with some additional crafting items/tools.

Do most players make a few trips back and forth? Or, is keeping some items at each base a good idea, if and when one might return to a previous map?

I'm currently on day 60 (my personal best on voyager), and still haven't even stepped foot in PV yet.

Thanks for any input. :)

I'll simply post my list of what I'm going to bring to discover the new September update map. It should work for any of the old maps as well. ;)

- one of each of the following tools at >90% condition: hatchet, knife, prybar, lantern (100% fuel)

(I don't consider can opener and toolbox to be particularly important, thus I'll save that weight.)

- either 1 rifle, 30 rounds OR 1 bow, 10 arrows. (Take whatever you prefer/feel save with.)

I for one will probably take the rifle despite its higher weight.

- 2 flares

- possibly two or three scraps of cooked meat (<50g each) as decoy

- 4x cedar firewood (= 2kg for 4 hours burning time)

- 10 tinder plugs

- 2 accelerants

- 1 magnifying lens, 1 firestriker, 20 matches

- about 5000 calories in 1kg weight (energy bars & salty crackers)

- 1.5l of water + 2x soda

- 10x herbal tea, 10x coffee

- 3x rosehip tea, 3x reishi tea (not only as medicine but also as emergency drinks)

- 6 x old man's beard lichen bandages

- one of each best quality crafted clothes (only what you're wearing, no surplus clothes)

- one bearskin bedroll

- one sewing kit

If you want (or have to) to save weight, take a normal bedroll instead of the bearskin one and cargo pants instead of deerskin pants. ;)

Total overall weight of everything mentioned above (including deerskin pants+bearskin bedroll) :

about 28,85kg (rifle) or 26,25kg (bow)

What I wouldn't bother to bring along for sure is more than one of each tool, any cloth (or larger amounts of scrap metal for repairs) and any heavy canned food/cooked meat. We're most likely going to find plenty of these on the new map anyway.

for myself when moving, it certainly depends how long I plan on spending in said place. I don't like letting food expire (meat or otherwise) so when moving I tend to take any of my food supplies that are getting low in quality (around 20% for packaged, 40% for meat) and I'll definitely just gorge myself before the trip on any of my low quality stuff.

I take my bow always, because the weight difference, plus since I have meat on me I find it really easy to deal with the wolves I may encounter. Due to this I don't take many arrows as I don't plan on hunting, but only defensively fighting.

As others have said I also take only the clothes i'm wearing, no crafting supplies, high quality clothing, and a bedroll (I usually am not in a hurry to even make the bearskin bedroll). I also take about a liter of water. The weight I carry will fluctuate, and I will play it differently depending on what I've decided to take. If taking all my low quality food even means I'm slightly over weight, i don't mind as long as I'm still light enough to move and run, I'll just take a stop somewhere near the transition zone and eat/sleep, get under weight and start the real run the next day.

-edit- oh yeah always have coffee. Coffee saves.

good question considering that each map has more of the same stuff in it, so it would depend on whether or not your are moving your entire base of operations or just relocating temporarily to another place in the area.

so lets assume your going to transition between maps, you don't know what your gonna find or when or where you will find it, but the point is that you are going to be out in the open between shelters for longer periods of time, so I like to prepare for trouble...

wear your best condition, warmest clothes, bring extra gloves and maybe a hat... harvest for cloth and bandages if necessary... wolves are hard on clothing

get your meds in order, I take 10 antibiotics, 2 antiseptic, 2 bandages, 2 lichen bandages and as many painkillers as I have... you can make bandages out of harvested cloth

take hatchet, knife, rifle all bullets, bow 10 arrows, matches, 2 flares, 3 torches, 2 fishing line, 2 accelerants

sleeping bag, magnifying glass, striker, and the basic tool box and prybar. pop those trunks and lockers!

on the crafting side, take as much cured gut as you have, I don't worry too much about carrying firewood, since you will find a lot of it as you move about the countryside... sticks can be broken down into tinderplugs so if you have to make a fire, you should be able to find lots of burnable stuff laying around.

lastly load up on calories, if you make lots of coffee, you get about 100 calories per cup at .10l so with 10 cups you can drop a liter of water from your jug... same goes for herbal tea, except the coffee gives you a nice buzz and helps to reduce fatigue, pretty good benefit considering you will be walking for about 5-7 hours between maps...

you can still move pretty quickly carrying up to 35 kilos, at 30 or below you move much quicker and at 40 kilos you are going to just be walking steadily.

Archived