Fix rifle aiming

SteveP

Recent postings on the Internet indicate that there is a significant bullet drop with the rifle. This should be zeroed at 200 meters and shoot about 2" high at 100 meters. At 50 meters it's 1" high, at 150 its about 2" high. See the ballistics calculator for the .303.

Ballistics chart British 303

There is another site that prints the ballistic chart for any given scope zero range under the advanced options.

Advanced Ballistic Calculator (enter bullet and zero range) it will default typical values. See attached image file for the chart I made.

Also the Lee Enfield 303 (British) had a variety of adjustable rear sights to compensate for range. It could be adjusted to volley out to over 1000 yards in some models.

Here is a typical rear sight with adjustment.

Parker9G_CLLE.gif

Here is a simpler version of adjustable rear sight, the Lee Enfield GRI Ishapore ShtLE 1923 III .303 which more closely resembles the open rear sights of the game's rifle. It appears to be calibrated in 100s of yards with zero at 200 and maximum adjustment for 2000 yards. This is the sliding ramp type.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1443&d=1322285390

This isn't meant to be a hunting simulator, so while they may adjust some of the aiming, it's highly unlikely they'll devote priority or extensive time to just make the rifle and wildlife realistic - they're more likely to keep it simplified for gameplay purposes.

Ballistics should be simple to fix. The kill zones should be relatively easy but as long as we all know what to aim for, I have no quibble. Graphics improvements enhance the game verisimilitude. Didn't they already make the wolf, bear and other wild life better? Early versions were very simple. This is after all, a wish list. See what the users want. The game has a certain stylized look & feel that should be consistent. I'm fine with that but I could wish for a better bear with the proper grizzly profile. :-)

It used to be very frustrating after an encounter with a wolf, or a deer shot, to never be able to track down the animal even when you KNOW you put a round in the centre of chest.

if we want full verisimilitude, how about some thick alder brush? ;-)

Archived