Gathering Snow Effort Increase

random calliope

Gathering snow to melt is more automated now than gathering logs used to be.

I would like to see a large pot in some buildings that the player must take outside to gather snow if they want to melt snow on a stove. 20 liters of snow would melt down to 1/10th of the volume of the snow, or 2 liters maximum per trip outside. Unless the player has found and brought pots with them. The trip outdoors to gather snow would take 5 to 10 minutes per pot. That is valuable time while a fire is burning, so they would want to gather snow before lighting the fire.

Outdoors an empty food can could melt half a liter at a time with no gathering time penalty because the player could simply fill the can from snow on the ground as it melts. Until the player finds a pot they would have to collect snow in empty cans to take indoors to melt.

If the player does choose to walk through the woods carrying one of these large pots on their back it should rattle and make sneaking impossible.

Varied pot sizes in-world, with the smaller ones common and the largest ones rare, could add yet another constant survival quest.

Or something like that.

Cool idea! I myself have always thought that if it's above freezing inside a house, I could fill the bathtub with snow and come back in a couple of days to harvest all the sweet sweet non-potable water. I have no idea whether this would work in real life, though.

I like the bathtub idea too. It would put more value on the lesser used houses. In CH the house on Jackrabbit Island is almost as good for a base as the gas station, of you don't mind building fires outside on the porch. The bathtub would tip those scales and we would have to travel way over to the gas station to craft items. More danger. I never get from Jackrabbit Island to the Gas Station without something happening in between.

I also had the idea that you give players the ability to fill a pot with snow, and put it inside a freezer or fridge container... which would do two things:

1) The snow would slowly melt into non-potable water (give the pot its own mini "container" interface to be able to remove the water and add more snow if you want)

2) As long as snow remains in the pot, the fridge or freezer that it is in get a "bonus" in the form of any food products it contains will degrade more slowly.

I also had the idea that you give players the ability to fill a pot with snow, and put it inside a freezer or fridge container... which would do two things:

1) The snow would slowly melt into non-potable water (give the pot its own mini "container" interface to be able to remove the water and add more snow if you want)

2) As long as snow remains in the pot, the fridge or freezer that it is in get a "bonus" in the form of any food products it contains will degrade more slowly.

AN Icebox! Yeah, I like that idea too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived