FOOD PRESERVATION via OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE

SonoftheThrone

Simply be able to prevent food quality from deteriorating by placing it outside. For example, canned items can be FROZEN by placing them outside overnight! So that instead of the item's quality percentage falling, it would remain until the item UNTHAWS! This is especially good for RAW meat where there is NO AVAILABLE FIRE TO COOK THE MEAT. Throw it outside...with the RISK that wolves might just steal it away by the next morning!

Why NOT? Doesn't this sound like an awesome, simple idea that is practical and realistic?

"Items can be frozen/preserved by placing them outdoors for a determined amount of time."

They can be UNTHAWED slowly indoors or quickly via a fire.

Sincerely,

SonoftheThrone

• 3 months later...

Another possibility: Include pickaxes to harvest ice blocks from frozen rivers and the sea to be placed in fridges. Of course, in time we may be able to place traps to protect areas where we could store food outside for preservation. All in all, I would like to see my food cache last longer when not in use.

I would like to see more meat preservation options in the game. Such as freezing, drying or smoking to greatly reduce the deterioration. It could be as simple as allowing the player to move the metal containers outside into the snow and place the raw or cooked meat in it, giving them a way to build a drying rack outside with a fire nearby to dehydrate/smoke the raw meat.

I would like to see more meat preservation options in the game. Such as freezing, drying or smoking to greatly reduce the deterioration. It could be as simple as allowing the player to move the metal containers outside into the snow and place the raw or cooked meat in it, giving them a way to build a drying rack outside with a fire nearby to dehydrate/smoke the raw meat.

- I agree with this post - Racca you should make this its own thread if there isn't one already.

It would be great to have some kind of long term food preservation options. I got lucky in my last ML game with stealing deer carcasses from wolves. Had about every frozen corpse between the Camp Office and Trapper's Homestead filled to capacity with venison. (~50kg) Sadly most of it spoiled before I could eat it, even though it was "free" it still seemed a terrible waste.

The looted "industrial" foods could serve as this long term food supply. Most canned goods have 18-36 month shelf lives without refrigeration. (some up to 60!) MRE are good for 20-30 years... I should know I ate MRE from the early 70s during the first Gulf War! Junk food and jerky will keep for 6-12 months easily as well if not longer. Being a finite resource would balance out the extended shelf life, and make the player put more thought into their use.

Archived