Too strict conditions for remedying hypothermia

joki

This is an interesting discussion, but I think the biggest problem with the hypothermia system is that it doesn't tell you to spend a consecutive 24-hours warm with no exceptions. It just says stay warm for 24 hours. First time it happened to me (on the middle difficulty), I stayed indoors for about 12 hours, then wanted to look out the door for a second to see what the weather was like. Just step out, step back in. Most everything else in the game (like crafting) you can pause and resume the process, so I thought it would be similar. Wrong. Back to 24 hours because of 1 second in the cold. That just feels like an arbitrary punishment to give the player.

An even worse time though, I had 23 hours down. I woke up in the morning and the UI said to stay warm for 1 more hour, so I rested 1 more hour. The bed was right next to the door, and when I woke up, I went outside ('cause I had things to do! And I didn't want to stay in that cabin a second longer!) but then when I got outside, it still said I had hypothermia, and it was right back to "Stay warm for 24 hours". I had to stay inside a full 48, because I thought 1 hour meant 1 hour, not 1 hour and a couple of spare minutes. I felt like the game lied to me...because...well, it did.

TLDR: The hypothermia system can be rather counter-intuitive / poorly explained for new players. In my opinion, the 24 hour time is fine, it's harsh but it makes sense and encourages smart playing. But stepping outside for just a second at the end of hour #24 resets the timer? That's just arbitrarily punishing.

Yeah it appears to be bugged or just very poorly implemented.

If you happen to be stuck somewhere, where you have to keep a fire going for 24 hours, with the way fires work, it simply is too much fuel in the early part of the game. No real problem after 20 days.

While this is all well and good and a necessary change, what is being done to fix the starvation exploit which is a min/max exploit which is ridiculously exploitable?

If you mean the hibernation technique, I can tell you it's something we've looked at. It's also something that will take more time to tune, as it is a more complex design issue that speaks to the heart of core gameplay.

If that's not what you were referring to, then I'm sorry for misunderstanding. The post was a tiny bit cryptic, considering all of the feedback I go through over hibernation, calories, and so forth.

Archived