Flashlights?

DrMembrane

Dear Community,

What do you think of electic flashlights? Like I don't know a single person with a kerosene lamp, but everyone I know has a bunch of flashlights. Is this a US vs. Canada thing? Or maybe a suburban vs. rural thing? It just seems odd that there are no flashlights.

Hi, well since this game is based on the aftermath of a Geomagnetic Storm so a big solar flare that can fry all eletronic device, i think they didnt put flashlight in the game becase they would be useless.The only way that any eletronic device would survive the flare would be if they were stored in a Faraday Cage, but not many people know about that.

At least thats what i think why there is no flashlight in the game, i could be wrong too.

If you have one of those flashlights you had to "pump" or "turn a handle" to work... they should be ok. While a Faraday Cage would do it, a large chunk of ferrous material or rock would work too. Like in the dam. That said, not having a flashlight is good for me. You have to old school to see what is about. I do wish we could construct a bullseye cover for the lantern so we could get a flashlight like effect.

Depending on the type of geo-magnetic disaster, flashlights (regular or hand-crank) would not work. Modern flashlights (LED flashlights) use electronics so they would not work. A strong enough EMP would also destroy the lightbulbs of traditional flashlights. And if the disaster is an ongoing thing that drains all electricity, it doesn't matter of the flashlight or it's components are destroyed or not, or if it was stashed inside a faraday cage. No device can work while the event is draining the electricity.

This has been discussed at length several times already on this forums btw.

I actually do think they should add flashlights to the game, they just shouldn't work. While I'm sure that people living in places such as where TLD takes place still own and use kerosene lamps (and candles!), I'm also sure they have multiple flashlights lying around their houses. So finding a flashlight every now and then would make sense. They would be pretty useless though, so I get that the devs haven't added them.

Depending on the type of geo-magnetic disaster, flashlights (regular or hand-crank) would not work. Modern flashlights (LED flashlights) use electronics so they would not work. A strong enough EMP would also destroy the lightbulbs of traditional flashlights. And if the disaster is an ongoing thing that drains all electricity, it doesn't matter of the flashlight or it's components are destroyed or not, or if it was stashed inside a faraday cage. No device can work while the event is draining the electricity.

This has been discussed at length several times already on this forums btw.

I actually do think they should add flashlights to the game, they just shouldn't work. While I'm sure that people living in places such as where TLD takes place still own and use kerosene lamps (and candles!), I'm also sure they have multiple flashlights lying around their houses. So finding a flashlight every now and then would make sense. They would be pretty useless though, so I get that the devs haven't added them.

I agree to this, also +1 to candles.

Finding useless items would be fun but frustrating (funstrating?). Having this (maybe also a useless compass) on a rare occasion would add something to the game (in my opinion). Heck, I might even start hoping that one of them WILL work :roll: .

No device can work while the event is draining the electricity.

That is true, but the solar flare would last from one day to maximum 3 to 4 days, and if any electronic device were stored in the faraday cage they would work after.

Yes, but if this is not a solar flare but something that lasts months/ years/ for ever, it might work inside of the faraday cage, but once you take it out it would no longer work.

I agree to this, also +1 to candles.

+1 to candles as well. I'd like to see the ability to put multiple emergency candles around a home. If an average one lasts for 96 hours (for the simplicity of 4 days sake) that means we could light certain parts of our home for four full days, or twelve (8 hour) nights. We could choose to carry the candle (which would offer slightly more light than a match, less than a storm lantern) or place it on certain areas in a home (tables, counter tops or dressers for example). Most homes would be equipped with them anyway, since I'm sure blackouts are common in desolate Canada, and for the country home I live in personally, we rarely use our generator except for running our fireplace (electric).

I still use white gas (aka naptha) Coleman Lanterns and stoves for camping. The liquid fuel lasts for several years once opened and the only nuisance is occasional parts cleaning and new mantle's for the lantern.

Also if the wood for the campfire is wet a SMALL splash of fuel works great to start it. Large splashes are an excellent way to remove upper body hair.

As to propane bbq/stove campers, small splash of propane doesn't seem to stick to the wood.

As to propane bbq/stove campers, small splash of propane doesn't seem to stick to the wood.

Propane vaporizes too quickly to poor onto something. I've actually never seen a propane canister that you can open to poor the liquid out, don't they have high pressure valves?

Propane vaporizes too quickly to poor onto something. I've actually never seen a propane canister that you can open to poor the liquid out, don't they have high pressure valves?

Spot on.

Spot on.

Two points:

1. It was sarcasm.

2. Propane is liquid at -44 (c or f ... the same at that temp).

Re: Sarcasm

I lived out in a rural area of Texas for a few years. Lots of trailers and those car sized propane tanks. A pair of high school kids decided to steal some propane from an abandoned trailer back off the main road. Somehow they got a spark going (probably banging on the nozzle). Burned one to death, the other one died a few weeks later and the property was complete razed.

Lost a cousin huffing gas because the kids thought it was safe to do. To quote one of my other cousins who left the poor lad to die, "They sell it everywhere and they put in in cars. It must be safe!"

You just can't tell what people don't know and what stupid things they may attempt in ignorance.

Archived