Clothing degeneration warning

desrocchi

I would really like to have a clothing degeneration warning in the main interface alongside the cold/hunger/thirst monitors - unless there's a reason why you guys chose not to have one.

Simply put, once I'm wearing my clothes I rarely look at them anymore and I have no warning on some of them being near destruction.

What I was thinking is a simple sticky figure that goes white/yellow/red depending on the lowest condition of any of the worn items.

So knowing this, why don't you look at their condition from time to time? :?

Because I'm implying I forget to do it... your solution to my problem is to simply not have a problem...

You have clothing warm bonus left from the status bars. If you know, what bonus you have with fully repaired clothes, then you can track their wear.
There's no warning there, I'd simply have to memorize the numbers and keep them under check. This would be exactly like going to the clothing tab to look at my situation...

Because I'm implying I forget to do it... your solution to my problem is to simply not have a problem...

I'm just implying maybe you forgeting to do it doesn't warrant additional clutter of the gui. Maybe there are other way to do this. Like an audio cue, the sound of a seam tearing once a condition threshold is reached.

I understand there's people who'd like to have no interface at all, on the contrary I usually like to have a well detailed HUD.

If not a sticky figure on the interface maybe a written warning like "thirsty" or "hungry" would do the trick.

I understand there's people who'd like to have no interface at all, on the contrary I usually like to have a well detailed HUD.

If not a sticky figure on the interface maybe a written warning like "thirsty" or "hungry" would do the trick.

There are audible hints when you get thirsty. but yeah just hit your TAB key (i think) to see how thirsty or hungry you are, also states fatigue/coldness etc. it has all the info your already asking for.

ok then what is all this info when you hit tab key? you can then click on each item equipment,forage wood etc. to view more detailed info about those items you have. Either your having issues accessing this info or I can't see your point in displaying it elsewhere?

tabmenu.png

It's quite obvious, clothing is used passively while other objects are used actively.

If you have to use a knife you see the conditions of the knife under it.

If you have to forage wood you see the conditions of your hatchet under it.

Clothing is constantly under use, its condition changes constantly, hence the need for a better way too keep it in check.

It's quite obvious, clothing is used passively while other objects are used actively.

If you have to use a knife you see the conditions of the knife under it.

If you have to forage wood you see the conditions of your hatchet under it.

Clothing is constantly under use, its condition changes constantly, hence the need for a better way too keep it in check.

Well I think your wrong :)maybe where are you seeing your knive and forage wood activley?

click the equipment button- you then see all your clothing items just like how you might view your tools/knives etc. can you post some screenshots?

Actively as in when their condition is being degraded it's because you chose to use them, NOT as in you are holding them in your hand.

You want to use your hatchet to forage? The condition of your hatchet is shown to you before you start the activity.

Clothes are always in use, it's not like you have a "walk" interface where the condition of your clothing is shown to you before taking a step.

Actively as in when their condition is being degraded it's because you chose to use them, NOT as in you are holding them in your hand.

You want to use your hatchet to forage? The condition of your hatchet is shown to you before you start the activity.

Clothes are always in use, it's not like you have a "walk" interface where the condition of your clothing is shown to you before taking a step.

When your clothes degrade you actively get colder(another warning). This should be the only warning you get in my opinion that also seem real to me. The main clothing repair should or always be done when you can, either be it in a barn or sitting next to a fire outside. this game is about survival after all?

i.e repair you clothes - then you might be able to go out in colder weather!

note: you can check your equipment at anytime as well.

Look, this is a game, not real life. I think it would be a better experience if this piece of information was better displayed.

I know I can always stop and look in my inventory, but it's a tediuos and boring activity that adds nothing to the game experience.

We already have this kind of warnings in game, be it for food, water, temperature or daytime. I can't see why it would be so dramatically gamebreaking to have it for clothing degradation.

I know I can always stop and look in my inventory, but it's a tediuos and boring activity that adds nothing to the game experience.

But the thing is, you don't have to stop and look. Clothes don't degrade that fast. You already have to use your inventory often to eat/drink, move items around and so on. Maybe we got used to a contrived UI and bad design. But maybe what people are implying is for you to argue for your idea by explaining why can't you take a second to check your clothes in the inventory when you're doing something else that requires the inventory. I don't think just because you forget is good enough to warrant more text on the screen. Audio cues I have nothing against.

We already have this kind of warnings in game, be it for food, water, temperature or daytime. I can't see why it would be so dramatically gamebreaking to have it for clothing degradation.

It wouldn't be but where do you draw the line?

Sometimes I forget to bring a bedroll and I have a facepalm moment someplace that doesn't have a bed. Should the game remind me of that too? Have the icon turn red in the survival panel if I don't have one with me? Suppose I don't even use the survival panel until I get there so I wouldn't know regardless. Should a prompt appear in the corner of the screen to remind me?

Sometimes my prybar is in a terrible condition and I make a point of not using it but I forget, try to open the first locker I see and it breaks, and the locker with it too. Should I be reminded about that too? Warning, low prybar condition.

Like I said, where do you draw the line?

Forgetting, like getting lost, seems to be part of the fun. And you have to use your inventory often regardless, sort by condition exists, I don't really see what the problem is, honestly.

I have forgotten about clothing condition now and again. Went outside and wondered by I was getting so cold so fast. Pulled up my inventory and found out I was in little more than rags. Time to go back inside and figure something out. Now, every time I get back to base after being outside I check the condition of my gear. Double so if I had a close encounter with a wolf.

If they were going to add a paper doll in the mix, then having a percentage near the body parts would be a nice touch. That said, I really don't think a clothing "wear and tear" meter is warranted. You get back to base, pop open your inventory and take a look at your gear. Done.

I think this would be small QoL fix that wouldn't compromise the integrity of the game. Some of the responses against this change are making a very poor claim for not having it in. It would be something as simple as a small body with the area highlighted when an article of clothing drops below 10%.

He's not asking for a game breaking change, just a small QoL addition. I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, whenever I sleep indoors I take off all my outerwear to minimize the degeneration. I keep on the sweater, long johns and socks. The rest I put in a drawer or cabinet. In the morning as I put it all back on I check the condition. I usually have plenty of deer, wolf, and cloth to do repairs as needed and a good coat, cargo pants and insulated boots as backup close by. I do not see the need for additional information in the hud or another bar graph on the information screen.

If I may interject. Your car has a gas gauge but gives you a flashing light/audible alarm warning when your almost out of gas. That's what Des is talking about, a last minute warning. Personally, I go thru all my stuff on an almost daily basis. Its one of those things I do when I'm stuck inside because of a storm or its still too early/cold to go out.

I can't help but snicker when I read this thread.

Let's say... hypothetically... that this feature does get added. When exactly are you expecting the icon to appear? When your clothes reach 50%? That seems a bit premature if it's supposed to be a last minute warning like "Thirsty". What about 10%? That would be more in line, right?

If you're wanting to wait till your clothes reach 10% before you repair them, then ... then... I'm speechless.

Clothing has only one purpose in this game. It's not about fashion or decency. It's about survival and using it to stay warm. Since the warmth bonus is based on the %condition of the clothing... it can be deduced that to maximize the warmth bonus, the player should maximize the clothing condition so the character can stay outside longer, gather more resources, and in the end, survive longer. I'm just gonna make a guess here... but it sounds like you aren't cold enough to notice when you have holes in your clothes. If that's so, then why do you need to keep them repaired?

Sounds like you have too many layers. It must be difficult to move around with all those layers on. Shed a couple layers and go relax by beach or the lake front. Enjoy the cool breeze. You're clearly burning up in all that extra clothing, causing you to sweat excessively and probably dehydrate, forcing you to drink more water than the rest of us.

Anyway, I agree with all the 'no' votes on this thread, but if the feature were added, I want it to appear when my fur based clothing reaches 70% since that's when I start thinking about repairing my furs to get their condition and warmth bonus back up to 100%. :) It's definitely colder in my game than yours. ;)

I do not see the need for additional information in the hud or another bar graph on the information screen.

That's because of the peculiar way in which you play the game.

It would be as if one of those guys who play Skyrim without ever using fast-travel said that fast travel is not needed...

I don't take out all my clothes before going to sleep, it used to be a thing but it's no longer needed.

I personally think the game should be less about looking at the inventory and more about exploring - as it is I think we already spend way too much time looking at a black screen.

I'm in agreement with Octavian, but let's see if I can't say it a bit less harsh lol.

Most people aren't acutely aware of how degraded our clothing naturally is. I'm glad it's in a % form vs a condition status (eg: poor --> good --> excellent). Now again like in real life, there is no reason to check the wear and tear constantly, although in a survival situation it would be a lot more. So it makes sense we would forget or even purposefully not bother to check. Now in real life I don't always notice holes starting, although when I was back home in Canada the -30° made them a lot more noticeable than here in the UK lol. Now when I noticed the cold it was like 'whoa I should do something about this'. The game equivalent is "wow my cold bar fills faster than normal. Hey my bonus is low. Oh my clothing needs fixing". You're not gonna be walking then have a sudden flash of insight.

Now the auditory and visual cues in this game are quite good. He tells you he's hungry, you can hear wind and see snow and even the steam from his breath! It is less cumbersome than a HUD and makes the whole game more immersive for players. You're not controlling a man in a game, you're there. So why not add to that? The sound of a tear or rip is just as good as a warning as any HUD warning.

Let's keep it clean and smooth. Clutter free and crisp. And hard. This is a hard game. It's supposed to be hard. Let's not forget that. :)

I was thinking about this again. Right now we have the modifiers based on the current condition of our clothing. What if they just add another number after? So it would be current condition / max condition. We hit TAB and our modifier is 10 deg / 14 deg. If we upgrade all of our worn gear to max, it would show 14 deg / 14 deg. This would eliminate some Ool popping up on the screen, dirtying up the UI, but still allow us to quickly gauge the effectiveness of our worn gear.

Archived