Clothing degeneration warning

desrocchi

I was thinking about this again. Right now we have the modifiers based on the current condition of our clothing. What if they just add another number after? So it would be current condition / max condition. We hit TAB and our modifier is 10 deg / 14 deg. If we upgrade all of our worn gear to max, it would show 14 deg / 14 deg. This would eliminate some Ool popping up on the screen, dirtying up the UI, but still allow us to quickly gauge the effectiveness of our worn gear.

I think this would be a good compromise.

I was thinking about this again. Right now we have the modifiers based on the current condition of our clothing. What if they just add another number after? So it would be current condition / max condition. We hit TAB and our modifier is 10 deg / 14 deg. If we upgrade all of our worn gear to max, it would show 14 deg / 14 deg. This would eliminate some Ool popping up on the screen, dirtying up the UI, but still allow us to quickly gauge the effectiveness of our worn gear.

+1

I support this notion! Combined with the ripping sounds and a hunger like pop-up warnings at 75-50-25% (maybe overall)conditions this should be an easy to follow non-intrusive system.

Personally this is starting to feel like it's crossing the line from "Okay these are things I need to be able to quickly glance at in order to tell if I can make it another two hours while I harvest this carcass" to "I need you guys to hold my hand so I don't die".

A warning beyond anything audible (such a tearing sound) would honestly be too much. We don't need a clothing degeneration bar on our tab or a warning to appear in a corner when we drop below 20% on every single article of fabric we're wearing. Honestly it's the players responsibility to keep their equipment in shape, not the game's HUD. I understand cold, hunger, fatigue and thirst, that's all things we as humans can figure out at any given time since it's something we feel. Since we aren't actually IN the game, we can't tell if our character is starting to shiver, or feeling a little dry in the throat or tired, so an easy glance is helpful without breaking immersion. But as humans we don't simply KNOW if our sweatshirt is looking worn in the back, or if the bun on our hat fell off unless we actually look at it. If they implement a feature like this for clothes, they'll need to do it for our lanterns, rifles, food, etc. the list goes on and on.

As a helpful suggestion, plan that every night before you go to bed (or in the morning when you get up) you sit by your fire and check every article of clothing. If it needs repairs, repair it, or judge if it can last a few more days. I tend to do this every time I return to my camp, checking how all my clothing, weapons and equipment are faring, repairing what needs to be repaired and then making sure my food is in good enough shape to last a few more days while I'm out hunting.

Personally I feel that it's up to players to monitor their clothing conditions [we already open the clothing inventory anyhow, so there's no reason not to take a quick condition scan since it shows when it's getting low already].

I'm not sure what ki9nd of Clothing Wear Alarms are available in other countries -- I've had pants, shirts, jackets, shoes, laces, socks, and pretty much most other clothing rip unexpectedly while either active or even just bending over [never heard an It's About To Rip alarm go off].

No it doesn't happen too often IRL, but it happens. For in the game, the clothing does deteriorate [players already know that] as part of the game play... And the colored low condition numbers in the inventory menu show when they're wearing down.

I've had pants, shirts, jackets, shoes, laces, socks, and pretty much most other clothing rip unexpectedly while either active or even just bending over.

Now there's an idea. :twisted:

Dear devs,

I want my clothes to rip suddenly like in real life. I want my clothing to rip on tree branches and other environmental hazards at inopportune times, such as during blizzards so I freeze to death faster. I want my clothes to have a higher chance of ripping in embarrassing places when I bend over to harvest meat or pick supplies up off the ground.

:twisted:

Archived