A few glitches and torches with wolves

brian71mm

So.... I'm on day 28 and finally got handmade deerskin boots and pants, along with the rabbit skin mitts when I see that they weigh nothing, I'm not opposed to this of course but.... when you go to check on harvesting or repairing the game freezes up at that screen and you have to go to the dashboard, quit the game then restart. I have tested this 3 times and it's the same thing every time when wearing them or not. Since creating these items the game freezes off and on at certain points causing you to restart as well. Thought that should be noted.

Moving onto the second issue at hand, torches and wolves. So I have noticed using the torch stalls the progress of the wolf coming at you but does nothing to scare it away even swinging it violently back and forth, if anything this aggravates them more. Flares are all I have to protect myself and they are scarce. I like that you fatigue by swinging it and it goes out faster but I've died multiple times trying to use it.

I had the boots and pants and mitts too, and didn't have any problem. But that's not saying anything.

I haven't tried torches yet, but did have a wolf charge me at my camp fire. I kept the fire between us, and he didn't attack, and ran away eventually. And thank god, as I was out of flares.

Moving onto the second issue at hand, torches and wolves. So I have noticed using the torch stalls the progress of the wolf coming at you but does nothing to scare it away even swinging it violently back and forth, if anything this aggravates them more. Flares are all I have to protect myself and they are scarce. I like that you fatigue by swinging it and it goes out faster but I've died multiple times trying to use it.

Flares (and torches) do have a chance of holding off or scaring a wolf, but once it's within the fight or flight radius, or if the wolf is already in charge/attack mode, it won't hold them off.

With flares, a wolf will [currently] stand in front of it... after a given time (if you aren't moving) they may run away yelping and giving up. If you're moving around, it's still catching their attention to get to you.

Not positive with torches (I rarely use them against wolves), but the few times I've swung them to scare off a wolf it has usually been a "step swing swing pause - step swing swing pause - step swing swing pause" process... moving slowly towards them once they had stopped. Never tried waiting (without moving) to see if they would give up on their own.

Archived