Co-op

LSL_Legend313

Neither co-op nor multiplayer are planned for this first edition of The Long Dark. It's been specifically designed around single player only. Timeshifting issues plus the requirement to change all the coding to include addition 3rd party views would mean having to redesign the game (and forfeit programming time and efforts for being able to complete the game as planned).

Perhaps in future sequels the devs might consider it if they feel it's really needed, but it is not in the plans for this release by the studio.

I was thinking about this today while playing and I imagined what it would be like to see another player's avatar crouching, running, etc. and doing all the odd (and sometimes annoying) things that other players in multi-player games have a tendency to do, and shuddered. Co-op or multi-player would almost definitely take away some of the magic of The Long Dark.

I was thinking about this today while playing and I imagined what it would be like to see another player's avatar crouching, running, etc. and doing all the odd (and sometimes annoying) things that other players in multi-player games have a tendency to do, and shuddered. Co-op or multi-player would almost definitely take away some of the magic of The Long Dark.

Don't worry, as there isn't any player model (yet) you wouldn't see your co-op partner anyway. :lol:

"Hey Bob, let's shoot the deer over there"

- "KK, I'll use my bow"

- "Oh my gosh man, you shot ME with your darn arrow!"

- "I'm sorry I didn't see you... but the good thing is, now I can simply follow the floating arrow."

On a bit more serious level: The constant feeling of loneliness is quite an important aspect of TLD and probably adds a lot to its immersion (at least for me). Playing the game together with someone else would thus be rather counterproductive in my opinion.

Archived