Different guns

Snoman

Don't get me wrong the 303 is a good gun, but I have been looking at Canadian Non-restricted rifles. There is a wide range that could be added.

I would like to see one or two add, and I'm not talking a second high power rifle. A shot gun or a 22 would be best.

I realty like the idea of a 22. They are great for small game and if you are precise you can get a deer or wolf. If you really tried you could kill a bear but I would have to be vary desperate to even try.

Just my opinion but please stay away from a scope. The temp differences we experience in the game would have drastic affects on all but the high end rugged scopes. There are some exemptions to this. The Russians have made rugged scopes for decades, But considering where we are I would have to expect it to be a an older 2x or 4x.

how about a little pink 22 single shot youth gun. Or if we ever find the crash site of the plane there could be a survival rifle like the ar-7 or 10/22 take-down

Different guns would require different ammo.

So as soon as they add different guns, you run into the problem of people complaining about not getting the right kind of ammo for the gun they're carrying, or having to carry two guns around because the ammo is so sparse.

The more types of guns, the more the problem would exacerbate.

• 3 weeks later...

It maybe that I have only done around 50 days so far but I really am not a fan of the gun and therefore not a fan of adding any additional types either. aside from what everyone else has said with ammo etc I much prefer the bow.

Granted it isn't as powerful but you can retrieve the Arrows and/or harvest them to craft new ones once they break.

I was thinking perhaps some modifications that could be done to the Rifle or rifles you own. There's the possibility of a scope (though that's problematic with cold and zeroing).

But also you could:

Sporterize the rifle by taking the wood off the front, this would lighten the gun.

Wrap it in cloth (like in enemy of the gates), protects from snow and elements.

A full on modification would be sawing the barrel and stock off, this would give a lighter weapon that can be fired faster, but has much worse recoil and accuracy. Something you carry to kill wolves in self defense, but can't bag deer with.

This way you might have two rifles at your camp you maintain. An accurate hunting one and another for self defense when foraging.

Perhaps a bayonet too, this could be used like a hunting knife when separate or combined to spear wolves in self defence.

You don't need another type of a gun. You can live and hunt hundred days with the one currently present and with the ammount of ammo there is. Introduction of another gun means complete rebalance of guns and ammo spawning. Is this really desiderable? I know, that bigger variety in items is nice, but there are other things to consider.

For me, new gun types wouldn't add much to my game experience either because the basic mechanics would still be the same as with the hunting rifle (= you shoot sth. and it either A) drops dead, B) runs away and bleeds to death or C) jumps you with some health deficit).

The bow works like this as well (with a different aiming mechanics at least). I for one don't need just another item that basically works exactly the same way.

What would, on the other hand, in my opinion be a nice addition are weapons that serve a completely different purpose. For example a means to cancel the hand-fighting mini-game and chase away the wolf/bear without killing it (pepper spray or sth).

Or maybe a weapon that has a high chance to scare away predators on range (flare/torch only work in rather close proximity) without injuring them lethally, like maybe an air gun. Even some kind of cast-net (that incapacitates your attacker for a small amount of time before it can free itself so you win some lead when running away) might be worth considering.

To cut a long story short: If another kind of weapon was to be added, I for one would very much prefer a defensive, non-lethal weapon with a completely new mechanics.

Archived