Sleeping on the floor - thoughts

drach33

Once I was in the Carter Hydro Dam during the blizzard and I was in the bad shape. I was freezing, starving, dehydrated and also very tired. I took care of the most needs except the fatigue. I couldn't find a bedroll and didn't bring one. It was frustrating that I couldn't do anything about that. I think that it should be added an option of the possibility of sleeping on the floor. It doesn't seem nice but that's better than walking like you were a zombie. Sleeping on the floor(or the ground) would be possible indoors and in some of the special locations like caves. It wouldn't be as effective as sleeping on the bed or the bedroll (smaller regeneration of condition and worse drop of fatigue, possibly inreased amount of burned calories) but it would be a good thing to add. What do you think about that?

In thought it odd too that we couldn't lay down without bed role except that in just about all situations you would freeze or hypothermia to death. An exception might be sleeping on table or in chair with fire going all night.

agreed-- sleeping on a stone/concrete/snow floor without insulation under you is a recipe for hypothermia.

Laying directly on the ground causes you to lose body heat due to convection. If you are laying on an exposed surface, then you need at least three inches of insulation between you and the ground. One of the reason why the army takes cots with them out on deployments. There is a difference between sleep and "good" sleep. Laying on a non-exposes surface, like inside a house, is not as bad unless the house has no heat. So laying in front of a fireplace would be fine while laying in a cold room would be almost as bad as being outside. The floor of the dam is a non-exposed surface and the concrete is going to pull the heat out of you. However, if you had a burn barrel nearby you could mitigate it. I think this goes back to a previous discussion about getting "rest" and getting "sleep". A player should be able to get some rest just about anywhere, I would just half the current fatigue returns.

Along those line, the devs need to make couches and chairs the equivalent of "cots" or zero warmth bonus sleeping surfaces. If the player had a "sleeping bag" in their inventory they could use it like a blanket, getting an additional warmth bonus.

To the OP, I did something like this in the past and really regretted it. So, I now just take the default sleeping bag (only 2.2 lbs) out with me on any walk about. I take the bear sleeping bag (if I have one) with me while exploring. It is more weight, but at least I can function if the weather catches me by surprise.

+1 to AmericanSteel's suggestion.

Resting should be possible just about anywhere but without the warmth bonus of a bed/ bedroll (resting outside or on a cold floor could even give a negative warmth bonus) and with (much?) less effect on fatigue.

Sleeping on a couch or chair should have a higher effect on fatigue than resting but less than sleeping in a bed. And you should have the option to use a bedroll if you have one, giving you the warmth bonus of the bedroll and possibly also increase the effect on fatigue a bit.

At the very least I would like to be able to rest next to my fire to pass the time when I'm stuck in a cave during a blizzard but without a bedroll. Even if my fatigue doesn't drop at all, at least it will pass the time quicker so I don't have to stare at my monitor for 10 minutes (IRL) to wait for the blizzard to pass.

For now, maybe they could add 'rest' to crouching.. It is pretty useless anyhow as you move at a snails pace when crouched and seems to not help when hunting as the animals seem to see you just as well as when standing. Or maybe set it up by having you crouch and then hit another key to go into rest mode. Ctrl to crouch and z to go into rest mode once crouched.

The devs could put it similar to after you survive an attack just before you get control back and can administer first aid.You can see but movement would be limited even more than when crouched were you can just barely move your view. If you move to fast it snaps you out of rest mode. So if in the wild you could see, all be it somewhat limited and if you hear a noise you can exit rest mode and defend yourself if not by a fire.

Expanding on the crouching bit when hunting. If you are crouched and motionless then the animals should get much closer before they spot you, As it is in the real world.. Ask any deer hunter. You have to stay motionless as they are coming in as not to spook them. If you just twitch, they always seem to spot it and will stare down the area you are at until they deem it safe of run off.

Oh, you can't crouch and hunt in the hunters blinds and we should be able to.(cant see over the side to shoot) Your in a blind to be hidden and more effective when hunting. Adding something like sugar beats to the harvest list would be useful also as you could use it to bait deer at the blinds as well as being another food source for the player.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm pulling a couple of suggestions from this thread to add to my list :)

Could you post "the list"? I would love to see what you have taken away from all the squabbling on the boards ;)

I'm not sure anyone would understand the insanity of my note taking, but we'll see! No promises :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm pulling a couple of suggestions from this thread to add to my list :)

Could you post "the list"? I would love to see what you have taken away from all the squabbling on the boards ;)

I'm not sure anyone would understand the insanity of my note taking, but we'll see! No promises :)

I am imagining a note pad with all sorts of "Long Darkish" themed cartoons and scribbles along the margins. :D

Archived