Deer impact collision to player

Cyclone35

I find it weird that when a deer runs into you while fleeing, it doesn't hurt the player in any way. Usually in the wild a deer will usually just flee from danger. However, if your standing too close or threaten it, the deer may retaliate and charge at you. I don't expect the same level of injury from being attacked by predators. But the impact of an animal charging at you would probably hurt. Maybe if a deer does collide with the player, they should fall over on their back, but then they'll get back up on their feet, a sign of precaution when your face to face with a wild animal.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cyclone35 said:

I find it weird that when a deer runs into you while fleeing, it doesn't hurt the player in any way. Usually in the wild a deer will usually just flee from danger. However, if your standing too close or threaten it, the deer may retaliate and charge at you. I don't expect the same level of injury from being attacked by predators. But the impact of an animal charging at you would probably hurt. Maybe if a deer does collide with the player, they should fall over on their back, but then they'll get back up on their feet, a sign of precaution when your face to face with a wild animal.

The bruising affliction, just taking away some condition for being a dummy

I like this! Big fast running Deer should smack you to the ground with Will or Astrid groaning and some animation of struggling to get up with maybe a broken rib or something. Serves you right for scaring a Deer in to a Wolfie and it goes wrong and you get punished for it. Ha!

The only problem I have with the idea is that deer do tend to flee in erratic and unexpected directions in the game, instead of always fleeing away from you. Meaning that there are going to be unavoidable collisions causes by doing nothing more than walking around a rock and spooking a herd of deer, and all but one of them run away, while one runs at you while fleeing. So I can see a ton of complaint rant threads about getting run over by random spooked deer (I see moderators having a nightmare scenario of dozens and dozens of gripe threads to deal with after  the mechanic is added).

That said, I don't have much issue with it from a gameplay POV- it makes sense, but I would limit damage to bruising and sprained wrists/ankles and maybe minor clothing damage. Nothing as harsh as broken ribs or uncontrolled bleeding.

• Upvote 3

There are also lots of places where you encounter deer in narrow locations and can't really avoid each other. So I'm against anything serious happening. But I'd like something cosmetic like the deer just pushing you aside instead of running through you.

• Upvote 2