Thank you so much for adding Cheat Death

Gwynren

I laughed when I saw a brief image of the Ravine trestle bridge in the Cheat Death section of the release notes video. So, so fitting. Little did I know the trestle was about to claim me yet again, so I got to try the feature first hand!

I've just come back to the game after a long hiatus and am working on part one of Tales. For some reason I thought crossing the trestle once successfully meant I could do it again on the way back after fetching a rope to go down to Bleak Inlet. Wrong. But also having the option to not permadie is what encouraged me to try walk across!

Having now lived it, I think the Cheat Death system is implemented exceptionally well: the disorientation, the black-and-white filter in the initial stages, having to hoof it to safety as I chose a nearby respawn, and then, after painstakingly repairing all my clothes, trying to find the recovery backpack (which, for me, was in Coastal Highway where I respawned, not in Ravine where I died in case people are wondering; also the icon only popped up on the map after I left the region and came back). It's so good! And fantastic not to have to lose Tales progress due to that #$%*& trestle bridge, although I need a new rope now.

Sidebar: HOW do people manage to cross the bit where you have to step from one single rail to the one on the other side? I think my failure rate there is over 50%, to me it's the worst place in the entire base game! (As a Faithful Cartographer, I have traversed the entire base game.) I will spend DAYS of in-game time just to go the long way around if I need to go between Coastal Highway and Mystery Lake. What trick am I missing?

• Upvote 6

On 7/9/2024 at 7:52 AM, Gwynren said:

Sidebar: HOW do people manage to cross the bit where you have to step from one single rail to the one on the other side? I think my failure rate there is over 50%, to me it's the worst place in the entire base game! (As a Faithful Cartographer, I have traversed the entire base game.) I will spend DAYS of in-game time just to go the long way around if I need to go between Coastal Highway and Mystery Lake. What trick am I missing?

Just make sure the rail is in the middle of your screen, I'd say.

Oh, and I got to try Cheat Death yesterday, and I agree: love it more than I thought I would, great fun!

Edited by PilgrimReaper
forgot cheat death comment
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I know there was a lot of trepidation/doubt about this system when we announced it, so it's nice to see some folks seem to be enjoying it.

There sure was! Little did we know the cougar would end up being the problem child (I missed it entirely, this is not me expressing an opinion).

I was one of the people who were supporting Cheat Death – not least because of my terrible track record with the trestle bridge – and it's definitely exceeded expectations!