Warm water after melting

Prometeu

I guess water right after melting should privide a bit of warmth for a reduce period of time. Is warm tho... it would make sense not the same as the tea and coffee but halftime of that I think would be ok.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Prometeu said:

I guess water right after melting should privide a bit of warmth for a reduce period of time. Is warm tho... it would make sense not the same as the tea and coffee but halftime of that I think would be ok.

...not really.  At the point the last of snow melts into water, the whole batch is merely around 1/2 C or 33/34F definitely not warm.  liquid yes, but not "warm."  

7 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

...not really.  At the point the last of snow melts into water, the whole batch is merely around 1/2 C or 33/34F definitely not warm.  liquid yes, but not "warm."  

Yeah but you have to boil it after to make it potable, so boiling is not 1/2 C...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Prometeu said:

so boiling is not 1/2 C...

Piddy is saying that the moment the last of the ice (or snow) melts the water would be close to zero C.  It can't go higher than that because the heat is going into making the phase change between ice and water.  After all the ice is completely melted, the fire can start increasing the temperature of the water.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Piddy is saying that the moment the last of the ice (or snow) melts the water would be close to zero C.  It can't go higher than that because the heat is going into making the phase change between ice and water.  After all the ice is completely melted, the fire can start increasing the temperature of the water.

Well said!
Exactly that.  It's just basic science.  At the point the last of the snow melts, we are only half there in the "cooking" cycle before the water reaches boiling temperatures and is considered hot.  The player can stop the "cooking" cycle at the point the snow has melted into water and treat said liquid with water purification tablets.  The water is then potable but is certainly not hot and most definitely not warm.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It does make me wonder sometimes how drinking boiled water straight off the fire,in a hot tin ,doesn't burn our mouths.

Imagine how would be to have to wait another 10 min so the tea or coffe is at a drinkable temp... funny

• Like 1

23 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Well said!
Exactly that.  It's just basic science.  At the point the last of the snow melts, we are only half there in the "cooking" cycle before the water reaches boiling temperatures and is considered hot.  The player can stop the "cooking" cycle at the point the snow has melted into water and treat said liquid with water purification tablets.  The water is then potable but is certainly not hot and most definitely not warm.  

Doesn’t this reasoning then contribute to the OP’s point?  If you boil the water to the POTABLE point, it would’ve been BOILING water.  

I’m sure the devs kept that out for balance of play, but in theory, it’s boiling water.  So it’s hot.  

image.gif.4248ea62dd164da39f17f93a1b94cc15.gif

Edited by Semple Fi
Decided on a different Gif to catch my Drift
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Doesn’t this reasoning then contribute to the OP’s point?  If you boil the water to the POTABLE point, it would’ve been BOILING water.  

I’m sure the devs kept that out for balance of play, but in theory, it’s boiling water.  So it’s hot.  

Op said, I guess water right after melting should privide a bit of warmth for a reduce period of time.  which technically wouldn't be possible as the snow just has melted and would not yet be boiled.  So no, since the player can use the water purification pills when the water has melted, but has not yet boiled.   anyway...

43 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Op said, I guess water right after melting should privide a bit of warmth for a reduce period of time.  which technically wouldn't be possible as the snow just has melted and would not yet be boiled.  So no, since the player can use the water purification pills when the water has melted, but has not yet boiled.   anyway...

But did you like the gif…?