I just lost all of my progress

Recently my PC bluescreened, and I had to reinstall a bunch of stuff. The long and short of it is I lost all of my The Long Dark progress. Saves, badges, feats, everything. And the steam cloud's save was overwritten, so there's no help there either. And all that when I nearly completed As The Dead Sleep.

Well, I guess when the new Tales From the Far Territory update comes out I'll start the freshest new game.

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I don't know what you mean by blue screened  but I'm sorry you lost everything.. that sucks...  Some of those feats and badges take ages to get..

Have you lost many other games saves?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I don't know what you mean by blue screened  but I'm sorry you lost everything.. that sucks...  Some of those feats and badges take ages to get..

Have you lost many other games saves?

My PC crashed, and I had to install a new mother board, and re-install windows. I guess, I could have figured out a way to preserve the save files, just didn't think I'd lose them. Weirdly enough, some of my other steam games still have their saves. Maybe it's because The Long Dark stores its saves in appdata local, while others do in the steam folder? I don't know.

Good thing is, I didn't have a 500-day run or something like that. Bad thing is, I was really trying to complete all of the Challenges, the only 2 that were left were As The Dead Sleep and Escape The Darkwalker. Guess, I'll repeat this when Hunted 3 comes out.

Also, I lost the 4DON badges, repeating that would be more of an old-version-installing file-wizardry challenge. And the feats I don't really care for that much, since I never use them.

Edited by Ghurcb

Oh I see..    my tech knowledge is laughable at best but it does sound odd you didn't lose some of the saves..

Losing the 4don sucks though,  I missed that event by two days and I always wanted to do it..like a lot of people..  I suppose you have the option of the time capsule on pc though..

20 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Recently my PC bluescreened, and I had to reinstall a bunch of stuff. The long and short of it is I lost all of my The Long Dark progress. Saves, badges, feats, everything. And the steam cloud's save was overwritten, so there's no help there either. And all that when I nearly completed As The Dead Sleep.

Well, I guess when the new Tales From the Far Territory update comes out I'll start the freshest new game.

Shit man that sucks ATDS is stupidly hard. I just recently got a new gaming computer so no feats which sucks but this must be way worse. My deepest condolences.

13 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

My PC crashed, and I had to install a new mother board, and re-install windows. I guess, I could have figured out a way to preserve the save files, just didn't think I'd lose them. Weirdly enough, some of my other steam games still have their saves. Maybe it's because The Long Dark stores its saves in appdata local, while others do in the steam folder? I don't know.

Good thing is, I didn't have a 500-day run or something like that. Bad thing is, I was really trying to complete all of the Challenges, the only 2 that were left were As The Dead Sleep and Escape The Darkwalker. Guess, I'll repeat this when Hunted 3 comes out.

Also, I lost the 4DON badges, repeating that would be more of an old-version-installing file-wizardry challenge. And the feats I don't really care for that much, since I never use them.

Yes, on PC the save files, together with the stats and achievements are stored at a local folder.
You can restore them from an earlier backup, if You have one. On the other hand, just start ATDS over. It becomes more easy with the experience.

Good luck!