I want to live off the land!

brokentwig

First, The Long Dark is a fantastic game. Hinterland has reproduced so much of what I would imagine living in that world would be like, especially the wolves and bears! However, I wish I could continue to advance in being self sufficient.  The Long Dark brings the beginnings of this through making some items and having some natural alternatives to looted items.  I wish this process was extended. 

To flesh out this idea a little bit, maybe at level 5 Harvesting, I could begin harvesting antlers.  Then I could make needles, hooks, arrow heads, and other items from them. Maybe add a Crafting skill, and as I progress I could make more and more advanced items. Maybe Level 5 Crafting I can tan hides and make leather, and then make advanced clothing from them or have a constant source of leather to repair looted clothing.  Advanced crafted clothing could be lighter and warmer.  This would give us something to do with the absolute pile of hides we accumulate as we play past 100 days.  Maybe add Mining as a skill, add a pick-axe, and allow players to mine for flint, whetstones, coal, and salt from the mines.  Maybe at Mining Level 1 all I can mine for is coal or salt, but as I progress I can mine the more advanced stuff. The fact that saplings don't regrow is fine, if I can achieve some other more advanced way to build better bows and arrows with other materials.

I think playing The Long Dark to achieve full self-sufficiency would add the kind of struggle and achievement that is not only reflective of long term survival, but would be fantastic game play.  Also, we need some Caribou!

• Upvote 5

TLD is 10 years old now.  Agreed, compared to some modern survival games where there are TONS of craftable items, there is a lot of room for expansion.  Not sure if this will ever come to TLD but I'm hoping it's successor will have this.

I also think adding a smoker (building a smoker that is) and a Smoking skill level would be cool, which allowed us to make more and more advanced smoked meats and fish.  These of course would last longer and longer.  This is another thing that natives did to preserve meat.  Besides, who doesn't love smoked bear sausage or a smoked Coho Salmon?

• Upvote 5

On 2/24/2024 at 4:51 PM, brokentwig said:

I also think adding a smoker (building a smoker that is) and a Smoking skill level would be cool, which allowed us to make more and more advanced smoked meats and fish.  These of course would last longer and longer.  This is another thing that natives did to preserve meat.  Besides, who doesn't love smoked bear sausage or a smoked Coho Salmon?

I’ve been trying to plug that suggestion in wherever I can.  Hopefully that will make it in to the DLC before they stop supporting TLD and move on to other projects.  
A smoker to cure meats just makes sense. 

• Upvote 2