Has it always been like this?

DIA

57 minutes ago, DIA said:

image.thumb.jpeg.56fb7de75a4303f5eb2b5f59ca9f8c14.jpeg

Has a moose hide bag always been repaired with dried leather?

Yep but the more beneficial effect before the loot table and beach comb reworks is that it also harvests for leather so there was a semi renewable leather source for maintaining gear late game at the trade off of a moose hide.

it would probably be a be cheesy but I think any hide should be able to be harvested into leather

Edited by Enigmaecho
  • Like 1

I think we used to need moose hide for repair, but could harvest it for leather.
Maybe that was a long time ago (?)
I do recall, that the economy was like not worth it to repair, because from a single moose hide you could make a fresh one.
So I have (and still do) been using it until they broke, and then just switched to a new one.
Have not even realized that it had changed...:)

But maybe I remember it wrong...

Edited by AdamvR

All the ones I've made I've never had to repair them..  they just don't take enough damage. My current long run at 650 days it's still at 100% condition.

The one I got from hrv was at 74% I believe so I fixed that and left it in the fridge... 

I wasn't entirely sure about fixing it with a hide, I can't remember ever using one to do so ,but it does sound vaguely familiar .. I could be mis remembering though.. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

All the ones I've made I've never had to repair them..  they just don't take enough damage. My current long run at 650 days it's still at 100% condition.

Hmmm. If I recall, this is a pilgrim run. (?)
I've just started up the Rugged Sentinel Time Capsule - when it first came out, - as I wanted to check if my memory is tricking me (it very easily can...)
Oh boy, what a trip that is!
I wanted to make one, so that I can see how to repair it.
I thought, the tricky part would be finding a gun, shooting it (lower Milton is an almost certain area I think), healing my double rib-fracture, and waiting for it to cure and then make one at FM...
Nope. I cannot get it damaged! Tried falling (about 15 times at least!), walking in blizzard, trying to pick a fight with a wolf, with a bear (they just keep running away...).
It is still at 100%...
I'm starting to wonder, that on Pilgrim it just does not ever take damage...?

Edited by AdamvR

5 hours ago, AdamvR said:

Hmmm. If I recall, this is a pilgrim run. (?)
I've just started up the Rugged Sentinel Time Capsule - when it first came out, - as I wanted to check if my memory is tricking me (it very easily can...)
Oh boy, what a trip that is!
I wanted to make one, so that I can see how to repair it.
I thought, the tricky part would be finding a gun, shooting it (lower Milton is an almost certain area I think), healing my double rib-fracture, and waiting for it to cure and then make one at FM...
Nope. I cannot get it damaged! Tried falling (about 15 times at least!), walking in blizzard, trying to pick a fight with a wolf, with a bear (they just keep running away...).
It is still at 100%...
I'm starting to wonder, that on Pilgrim it just does not ever take damage...?

I think I've had one that went down 1 or 2 percent ...once.. I can't remember  if it was because it's was on the outside slot (for some reason)  and something happened at the same time.. it would've either have been multiple dunks in the sea or more than one wolf mauling.... 

The settings for wolf fear seem to affect the bears as well,  I used to play with it on regular pilgrim settings but these days i take the fear off .the bears are a lot more likely to run at me now than run away...oddly it doesn't make much difference with the wolves..

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

ok, was not easy, falling through ice twice did not help either, but managed to get a good old bear roll: 12% damage to the sack, and
It has been like that since day 1: moose hide satchel required leather to repair.
So, my memory was based on the economy only, that repairing it required a (back then, extremely) rare resource.
Just as @Enigmaecho mentioned, it was better to use satchels for making leather "renewable".

Btw, the trickiest part of the whole trip back to 2017 was figuring out how to cook - I had to look up a Youtube video, - as I completely forgot the method, before you could place pieces of meat or cans on fireplaces. This game has come a looooong way...:)
This is all you could do with pans back then:
image.thumb.png.b5729d17a13b3732bb558b5d7d14ff71.png

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

ok, was not easy, but managed to get a good old bear roll: 12% damage to the sack, and
It has been like that since day 1: moose hide satchel required leather to repair.
So, my memory was based on the economy only, that repairing it required a (back then, extremely) rare resource.
Just as @Enigmaecho mentioned, it was better to use satchels for making leather "renewable".

Btw, the trickiest part of the whole trip back to 2017 was figuring out how to cook - I had to look up a Youtube video, - as I completely forgot the method, before you could place pieces of meat or cans on fireplaces. This game has come a looooong way...:)
This is all you could do with pans back then:
image.thumb.png.b5729d17a13b3732bb558b5d7d14ff71.png

That's some good but painful science...

Thank you for clarifying 😊

• Upvote 2