Foreman's Tool Belt

So this was a nice prize to "win" however it seems kind of useless to me. We need more slots for specialty items like this and the crampons. I mean how does wearing crampons affect me using a rifle holster or belt? I get the devs don't want us too OP and able to carry unrealistic weight, and the present weigh limits are MORE than reasonable, but if you are gonna give me an award for finishing a task, then at least make it something I will use?? Also the travois makes all of them less impactful, IMHO. Maybe add slots for feet and body so I can wear the crampons and use two of the weight allowance items? I have the technical backpack, travois, the moose satchel, the rifle holster, and now the belt that all give me some sort of weight allowance. Of the latter three, I can only use 1 or 2 of them at a time and I have the crampons competing with those three for 2 slots. I get the game is about choices, and having them is better than not, but I for one would like to have my crampons no matter what and I think that is reasonable given the other parameters the devs are balancing (esp. at lower difficulty levels). And, instead of giving me another weight balancing item I cannot really use, how about something neat I can use? I am thinking a scope for the rifle would be fantastic. Or perhaps gloves that are both extremely warm AND tough. Or snow shoes that let me walk and run faster. Or a hoist that allows me to get weight up and down a cliff face. Maybe some dynamite which could open up new game aspects that currently don't exist?

I really like the way this game has evolved over time, and I used to never play Survival but the devs have made that very enjoyable and I rarely think about Wintermute anymore because of the Tails and the way the game has changed. I like the new challenges, some of which I did not like at first (like the poisoned wolves or glitter fog) but slowly have adapted my game play to these new challenges and it (I have to admit) does make the game more fun with added challenges.

Happy Holidays all!

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Yep. It does not make sense to have to choose between crampons and a tool belt, or headband, or holster, or satchel. It would make more sense if there was a separate slot for crampons, for the holster, for the satchel and for the tool belt. I just found the tool belt, but since it is either/or I will never get to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the belt an excellent item while the travois almost useless for me. At higher levels of difficulties you want to move fast , being able to sprint when in danger and have the ability to carry those kgs more without slowing down. The belt does all that. 

The crampons can be easily worn when you need them (but i agree that one "special" item should not exclude another)

• Upvote 2

I can imagine someone arguing that you might have to choose between the rifle holster and the moose-hide satchel because they are both shoulder slung. But otherwise, the either/or choices don’t really make sense. Adding realistic complexity to the packs might be more trouble than it is worth though. Slots for crampons and belts would probably be the simplest solution. Perhaps they could add a pistol holster so you can choose between the toolbelt and that.

The toolbelt is extremely handy, if you want to move a lot of axes, knives, hammers, hacksaws, tool-boxes, and crowbars because even if you had 20, so that you looked like a wind-chime, the belt would half that weight.

I LOVE the travois for moving lots of gear, particularly when setting up local bases in regions when you are trying to move all your supplies to one place.

No, the belt only works on 3 items max, despite having loops for days.

If what you said was true and if it halved the weight of any and all tools I think it would be more worth it. Right now the absolute maximum benefit you can gain from it is 3 KG of weight if you had 3 heavy hammers on you, but it is realistically going to be much less than that. An average weight bonus would be for a hatchet/hacksaw, knife, and pry bar, which is a few KG of weight but for a whole accessory slot that you give up sure footing or warmth bonus for, it is pricey indeed.

Not useless by any means, but certainly underwhelming compared to items that are much easier to acquire. The moose hide satchel and technical backpack put it to absolute shame, and while it doesn't have to be "as good" as those items, I wish I was more excited about what it did other than be those items but less than half as useful in most circumstances.

If it is going to offer less weight bonus than other items, it should do something else that is neat to compensate.

The crampons for example, reduce sprain risk and help you climb ropes. If it only did one or the other, it would feel pretty underwhelming, but because its use is multifaceted, I think about and use it often.

i think is very much related to the style/difficult of play... i like to make long trips finding the last loot possible so the belt is very useful to lower the weight, travel faster and sprint more (to avoid wasting arrows/ammo on wolves)