Broth Recipe

Roberto Tomba

Anyone who's made a stock knows that the recipe is something like this:

• Animal carcass/bones
  • Vegetables
  • Water 
  • Salt

Beef stock is made from the remains of a bone-in steak, carrots, celery, onions, water, and salt. Chicken stock is made from what remains from a whole chicken when you harvest the meat, plus some variation of the above.

I think you get my point. We should be able to make the rabbit stock, venison stock, fish stock, and a multitude of others. But, the only meat allowed for a stock in the game is ptarmigan. Be honest now: if you were on day 291, and you've had nothing but grilled whitefish, bass, goldeneye, and rabbit for the last 40 days, wouldn't you want to mix it up a bit? I was happy to find flour and oil with the update, but I'm bummed that all those animal carcasses can't be soaked in boiling water to create a stock. 

I journal a lot, and I've just created this recipe:

Rabbit Stock

Rabbit carcasses

cat tail stalks

water

salt

I like to imagine that I'm making that to create a stew, even if the game doesn't let me.

Edited by Roberto Tomba
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Your recipe makes total sense to me, as do you comments about the limited interpretation of broth. And to me it seems like the broth is really just a stock - is this a US usage thing? But I want to make a proper broth too - a nice big pot of soup, enough for several servings. Nothing better on a cold day!  ^_^

But let's be honest - we'd all like a bunch more recipes at some point. Or that cooking was maybe a bit more flexible, and you could try out different recipes for yourself, maybe with a chance of success modified by how far from existing recipes you've strayed or something. Tho I do realise that would probably be really difficult to implement, and it's a bit late in the day at this point for another big overhaul of cooking.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, artmunki said:

And to me it seems like the broth is really just a stock - is this a US usage thing?

I’m not quite sure if I understand the question, but no, broth and stock are two different things. Generally broth is thicker, darker and richer than stock because it’s made with bones… or maybe I’ve got it the wrong way around, I dunno :D.

17 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I’m not quite sure if I understand the question, but no, broth and stock are two different things. Generally broth is thicker, darker and richer than stock because it’s made with bones… or maybe I’ve got it the wrong way around, I dunno :D.

I didn’t know so I looked it up and broth is made from animal flesh while stock is made using the bones but a broth can be a reduced stock with added veggies and a bases are a powdered or paste broth or stock and broth base is what bullion cubes are

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Could be it's a UK thing then, or maybe more specifically Scottish. Can't be sure. The way we use the terms, stock is broadly what you make with leftover veg, bones, etc. rather than just throwing them out, and is then used as a base for soups, stews, whatever you want to use it for. Our broth is a kind of thick soup, made with some kinda stock, whatever veggies you fancy chucking in, maybe some scraps of meat, and a generous helping of barley grains for substance. Fair fills ye up! ;D

• Upvote 1