"Play Anywhere" version of DLC causes being stuck at Disclaimer Screen

DarthCannabis1

I posted under another topic, but thought I'd open one for this particular issue, as I haven't seen one for the new update.  I've been playing TLD pretty much exclusively for the past month. I have the XBOX "Play Anywhere" version that I play on my PC.  Today, after downloading the new patch, my game won't load past the Disclaimer Screen.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and started the game without any DLC and it loaded immediately.  Once I redownloaded and installed the DLC it went back to getting stuck.  Is there an admin who can advise me on a solution to this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Same issue. I play on PC via the XBox app (otherwise known as Windows Store). The DLC updated when I opened the TLD app, but the base game does not appear to have updated.  I cannot progress past the "Disclaimer" screen

Edited by Francious70
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Francious70 said:

Same issue. I play on PC via the XBox app (otherwise known as Windows Store). The DLC updated when I opened the TLD app, but the base game does not appear to have updated.  I cannot progress past the "Disclaimer" screen

There are many of us that have been stuck on the disclaimer screen just for the base game for YEARS. Have a google about if interested, there's plenty of threads on here too. No fixes though really. Hinterland tend to lock or ignore the issue. 

1 hour ago, LoneWorf said:

There are many of us that have been stuck on the disclaimer screen just for the base game for YEARS. Have a google about if interested, there's plenty of threads on here too. No fixes though really. Hinterland tend to lock or ignore the issue. 

Wow. So much for caring for their players.  Maybe bring back the crunch?

A reply from Support:

"Hi (my name),

We've been in contact with Microsoft and believe we know what the problem is. It seems they pushed out the update for our DLC, but haven't yet pushed our main game update. This caused a mismatch in versioning which prevents you from launching. We've let them know about the urgency of getting the main game update live, however we're unable to force anything from our end.

Commenting on your subsequent email from yesterday, Xbox Play Anywhere should allow you to purchase once on either platform, and enjoy the game (and DLC) on both as well. If you've purchased twice, please reach out to their support who should be able to help. Ideally they'll refund you for your second purchase.

Xbox support: https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/contact-us

We'll contact you back when we have confirmation that the problem is solved.

All the best,

Hinterland Support"

I had actually already spent 45 minutes on the phone with Microsoft support, which I can assure you was extremely fun (yay!), trying to explain this very thing and the way it was supposed to work just to have them tell me it's Hinterland's fault for putting out different versions.  So Hinterland blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames Hinterland, and I get the shaft. I've purchased the game through steam now and can play, and have requested a refund from Xbox for their version of the game and DLC, but now I'm starting ALL THE WAY over.  I think I've shown how much I like the game, buying it and it's DLC twice and all (because I'll likely be stuck with both versions) but I have to say this whole experience has left a very bad taste in my Tomato Soup. The irony is that I discovered this game on gamepass and fell in love with it for free, came back to play it only to find I had to purchase it now, and when I did I couldn't play it. Now I've lost everything.  I had 135 day save going and had never fired a gun yet. I was so proud. I was sooooo close to my 1000 fire badge and my 20 days in a blizzard badge. Now I'm one step above a frozen corpse.  This sucks.

4 hours ago, DarthCannabis1 said:

A reply from Support:

"Hi (my name),

We've been in contact with Microsoft and believe we know what the problem is. It seems they pushed out the update for our DLC, but haven't yet pushed our main game update. This caused a mismatch in versioning which prevents you from launching. We've let them know about the urgency of getting the main game update live, however we're unable to force anything from our end.

Yep, this seems to be the issue. I can launch the game without the DLC installed, however the new features included in the base game that were pushed with this update (gloves showing on the hands, harvesting animations, ect) aren't there. This leads me to believe the base game update hasn't gone live yet.  I can also see that the base game app was last updated in October, while the DLC was last updated yesterday.

4 hours ago, DarthCannabis1 said:

I had actually already spent 45 minutes on the phone with Microsoft support, which I can assure you was extremely fun (yay!), trying to explain this very thing and the way it was supposed to work just to have them tell me it's Hinterland's fault for putting out different versions.  So Hinterland blames Microsoft, Microsoft blames Hinterland, and I get the shaft. I've purchased the game through steam now and can play, and have requested a refund from Xbox for their version of the game and DLC, but now I'm starting ALL THE WAY over.  I think I've shown how much I like the game, buying it and it's DLC twice and all (because I'll likely be stuck with both versions) but I have to say this whole experience has left a very bad taste in my Tomato Soup. The irony is that I discovered this game on gamepass and fell in love with it for free, came back to play it only to find I had to purchase it now, and when I did I couldn't play it. Now I've lost everything.  I had 135 day save going and had never fired a gun yet. I was so proud. I was sooooo close to my 1000 fire badge and my 20 days in a blizzard badge. Now I'm one step above a frozen corpse.  This sucks.

I know it sucks having to wait when you see everyone else having fun with the new features, but remember Hinterland is a small studio doing all of this on their own. They don't have a large publisher like EA, or Ubisoft helping to smooth these issues over on their behalf. That also means they don't have a large publisher breathing down their neck getting them to monetize every last dime out of the game.  Let's they to give them a little grace

7 minutes ago, Francious70 said:

Yep, this seems to be the issue. I can launch the game without the DLC installed, however the new features included in the base game that were pushed with this update (gloves showing on the hands, harvesting animations, ect) aren't there. This leads me to believe the base game update hasn't gone live yet.  I can also see that the base game app was last updated in October, while the DLC was last updated yesterday.

I know it sucks having to wait when you see everyone else having fun with the new features, but remember Hinterland is a small studio doing all of this on their own. They don't have a large publisher like EA, or Ubisoft helping to smooth these issues over on their behalf. That also means they don't have a large publisher breathing down their neck getting them to monetize every last dime out of the game.  Let's they to give them a little grace

You're right, and I understand that, but SAY that.  Don't tell me that it works when it doesn't, and that Microsoft will refund me if I buy both when they won't.  Honesty IS the best policy.  If someone would say "Hey, it's going to be a month before you can play and YES you'll have to buy the DLC twice if you want to play on your console and your PC.  It's broken and we're trying to fix it."  But they haven't said that. Instead I had wood smoke blown up my chimney. Apparently there are people that have been having this trouble for years with no explanation, no fix, and no word from Hinterland on it.  These things bother me.

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2023 at 4:14 AM, Francious70 said:

Hey everyone, it appears Microsoft has released the update for the base game. I've updated the base game, and can confirm it is working. I now see the gauntlets on my hands!  I've also got the DLC installed and everything seems to be working as normal.

Hi @Francious70,

Just curious, did you buy TFTFT twice (XBox and PC) or are you the one person for whom Play Anywhere actually works?

Many Thanks

On 12/7/2023 at 1:16 AM, DarthCannabis1 said:

A reply from Support:

"... Xbox Play Anywhere should allow you to purchase once on either platform, and enjoy the game (and DLC) on both as well. ...
Hinterland Support"

@Admin,

It's nice that members of your support team know how Play Anywhere "should" work... but I've been waiting since March last year for this to be fixed.

If you want us to forget Play Anywhere exists and pay twice, then just tell us that and confirm that the two separate versions will still share the same saves.

To be honest, the price is not that issue... it's the risk of version conflict and losing the save that prevents me from buying the PC TFTFT in addition to the XBox TFTFT I bought in over 9 months ago.

Response always appreciated... even if it's bad news

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Admin,

We're rapidly approaching the 1 yr anniversary of breaking Xbox Play Anywhere with the release of separate TFTFT versions for XBox and PC on the MS Store.

We're still waiting for an update as to whether this will be fixed, or to get on and just buy TFTFT twice and it'll work.

Here's hoping we get an answer as an anniversary present...