Do you think TLD shold get an offical modding scene?

Im not a modder nor that i know anything about the subject but i was always thinking: 

How come some1 from the community  create such cool stuff like new mechanics, items, clothing wisible on hands etc and the actual studio cant or will do it once in a year or two? How this can be? 

I play on Xbox so i cant actually play with mods but i saw mods that make gloves visible and other stuff done by random ppl and cant understand why we had to w8 years for that offcial update that is suppose to come in december? 

About the official workshop - i think its a good idea. 

• Upvote 2

They stated in 2021 that they would add creator hubs and all that. Never happened. I imagine they didn't assign any developer to contact with the modding communities either. The only thing they did so far is create this sub-section.
I tried to bring it up here but I received a generic response so that's that.

It's fine. Mods still exist one way or another for PC users. I think they help with the game's longevity by a long shot so it's a win-win by everyone's sides. Just wish the developers would finally recognize them at the least. They missed the opportunity to 'promote' the Halloween mod since the developers couldn't bring back their own mode this year.

It's unfortunate for console users though and consoles are not known to have modding sites either apart from Bethesda games.

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 4

On 11/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, Bear Isle Documentery CHNL said:

If the game is ending next year, should hinterland make an offical workshop?

personally i think so, it would probably be an undertaking but its something they have had on the og roadmap since the game was in pre-alpha and as you have said with their decision to end development it just reinforces the need for that, there is a large sect of this community that isnt ready to leave great bear especially with more than half the island unexplored, i'm with you they should put in the effort and investment to see functional mod support on pc and console, if bethesda could manage it in 2015 im not going to hear an argument that its not possible in 2023, its a matter of choice and investment, and based on that, theyve said it themselves Hinterland stands strong as it is because of the dedication and investment of The Long Dark Players and its already a slap to hear they are sunsetting after they just hyped us up like tales was just the beginning of paid expansions for the game so yea they should follow through on mod support so we can keep exploring the island once they chose to abandon it

17 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Im not a modder nor that i know anything about the subject but i was always thinking: 

How come some1 from the community  create such cool stuff like new mechanics, items, clothing wisible on hands etc and the actual studio cant or will do it once in a year or two? How this can be? 

I play on Xbox so i cant actually play with mods but i saw mods that make gloves visible and other stuff done by random ppl and cant understand why we had to w8 years for that offcial update that is suppose to come in december? 

About the official workshop - i think its a good idea. 

I often feel this way when going for AAA's like bethesda, their games would implode without modders (see fallout 76 yr1-3) but i also recognize that those mods introduce their own bugs and quirks, which range from silly insignificant/ mildly annoying bugs, to a bug that will brick the save the just hiding in wait til day 490 and that doesnt matter when its you the person who made it or the person who chose to Dl knowing the bug risk but from an official release thats unacceptable so they need to take a long time and check that every t is crossed ever i is dotted and every code is playing nice, and they still have bugs sneak by they gotta get in post release