Using unpotable water for teas

Leeanda

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It would work for me, gameplay-wise, as long as we could use either type of water in teas.  I'd hate to have to carry around a separate bit of unpotable water just to make teas with during a quick stop.

Oh no, I meant on top of regular water too..   it'd be a grind if unpotable was the only option.

16 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Oh no, I meant on top of regular water too..   it'd be a grind if unpotable was the only option.

I think that the rationale is that, perhaps, making a tea doesn't boil the water long enough to make it potable.  It takes less time to make tea than to boil even 0.50 L of non-potable water.  Perhaps the teas could take a little longer to make if non-potable water is used?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think that the rationale is that, perhaps, making a tea doesn't boil the water long enough to make it potable.  It takes less time to make tea than to boil even 0.50 L of non-potable water.  Perhaps the teas could take a little longer to make if non-potable water is used?

I've honestly never noticed how long the teas take so I hadn't thought of that.but I'd be willing to wait  a few extra minutes 

• Upvote 1

I think that there would have to be a set of new recipes if the act of brewing for each drink would make non-potable water (as water source) into a usable drink. 

The expanded scope of making teas and coffee with non-potable water then bring in whether anyone would routinely carry non-potable water and if already melting snow to make non-potable water why not continue until it boils and become potable.  

Aside from a very minor convenience to the character, would that add to the game in any reasonable or meaningful way.  A matter of the effort to implement and not get a buggy result compared to other things that have more meaning in the game.  

OTOH, I would like to use that teapot I see on the shelf in the Last Resort Cannery bunk trailer.  Non sequitur but it would look neat on a cooking surface to make a tea or coffee.   😉

7 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I think that there would have to be a set of new recipes if the act of brewing for each drink would make non-potable water (as water source) into a usable drink. 

The expanded scope of making teas and coffee with non-potable water then bring in whether anyone would routinely carry non-potable water and if already melting snow to make non-potable water why not continue until it boils and become potable.  

Aside from a very minor convenience to the character, would that add to the game in any reasonable or meaningful way.  A matter of the effort to implement and not get a buggy result compared to other things that have more meaning in the game.  

OTOH, I would like to use that teapot I see on the shelf in the Last Resort Cannery bunk trailer.  Non sequitur but it would look neat on a cooking surface to make a tea or coffee.   😉

Im sure I'm not the only one who's had fires blow out mid boil, so most of us have had non potable water at some point.. I just don't see why we can't use it to make teas.. the purification tablets aren't renewable either so maybe it'd be more useful later game when they've run out.

TBH, the instances where I end up with non-potable water would be rare and, from a possible game dev point of view, not worth working out an implementation that would bypass the fact that non-potable water was the ingredient.  They might have the mindset potable water good (drinking and cooking), non-potable water not so good (useful for drinking if one is willing to risk dysentery).  

I would not have a problem if they did make it possible but it would almost certainly be a lowest priority thing.  

I do wish they let water purification tablets combine to a higher condition but I guess I can settle on some other things doing that.  😁

I just thought it might be a possible option after watching someone dumping the water and leaving it unused.. it's not something I'm very set on but as I said it could be a  possible solution..

It might work in stews or other recipes that take a while to cook..

• Upvote 1