Async multiplayer: spawn in a world where another player died

enricodias

I know this game was supposed to be single player only, but that's kind of single player.

After a player dies, the save gets uploaded and used when someone starts a new game, some random days after the previous player's death. This would give players in a new world another reason to keep a diary, mark buildings and tell a story. The players spawning afterwards would have more content by trying to find out what happened to the previous players. Some simple filters could be used to ensure that the player spawns in an interesting world, like excluding saves where the previous player didn't change the world enough.

I'm not sure if something like this was already proposed before, but I had that idea for some time and that's reasonably easy to implement.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 11:57 PM, enricodias said:

Some simple filters could be used to ensure that the player spawns in an interesting world, like excluding saves where the previous player didn't change the world enough.

Loot would have to respawn to ensure you weren't going to die because you loaded into a 1000+ save.

I had this idea as well when playing ds3 ages ago, cant remeber if I proposed it. It would be cool even if it was simply finding another players journal and death stats, maybe with a random item in their inventory. 

Also would be cool to hear gunshots or smouldering embers that someone recently placed down. Or dark souls notes. 

Overall though Id want it mostly self contained, not afftect world loot. Just a small chip in the world and whispers of possible survivors.