Vincent the Vainglorious Interloper

conanjaguar

Vincent 2 / Day 3

I curse the weather as I drink a soda I found on the floor to satisfy my sandpapered tongue. This -12C fog with some snow is instant blizzard formula.

I look at the Dam for a few seconds and decide against it. I wouldn’t be able to find my way through the blasted place without light. Having wasted some warmth, I duck back into the trailer, sleep an hour to warm up, and head back out.

Despite nearly falling off the trestle, I make it through the Ravine all right and snooze for a few hours in a handy trailer in CH, where I find a flare!8DB294AB-08AA-4020-8867-34612902545A.thumb.jpeg.3273965513e766241c8bad3ea619bb3c.jpeg

When I awake, the sky is clear and temperatures are benvolent!42F7DF6E-C8B0-4073-913E-F2FB038AFD73.thumb.jpeg.4b317127db9e53eb4966e2f79b019faa.jpeg I light a fire with my mag lens and boil enough water to last me until I find some toilets, make a cup of hot tea, and start the goat down to the ice. Beachcombing yields a green maple sapling, nice! Searching Jackrabbit island and Misanthrope’s is uneventful and it’s late in the day, so I eat my cattails, drink toilet water, and drift off to dreamland.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Vincent 2 / Day 3

I curse the weather as I drink a soda I found on the floor to satisfy my sandpapered tongue. This -12C fog with some snow is instant blizzard formula.

I look at the Dam for a few seconds and decide against it. I wouldn’t be able to find my way through the blasted place without light. Having wasted some warmth, I duck back into the trailer, sleep an hour to warm up, and head back out.

Despite nearly falling off the trestle, I make it through the Ravine all right and snooze for a few hours in a handy trailer in CH, where I find a flare!8DB294AB-08AA-4020-8867-34612902545A.thumb.jpeg.3273965513e766241c8bad3ea619bb3c.jpeg

When I awake, the sky is clear and temperatures are benvolent!42F7DF6E-C8B0-4073-913E-F2FB038AFD73.thumb.jpeg.4b317127db9e53eb4966e2f79b019faa.jpeg I light a fire with my mag lens and boil enough water to last me until I find some toilets, make a cup of hot tea, and start the goat down to the ice. Beachcombing yields a green maple sapling, nice! Searching Jackrabbit island and Misanthrope’s is uneventful and it’s late in the day, so I eat my cattails, drink toilet water, and drift off to dreamland.

The beautiful views you get when the skies are clear make every blizzard and storm worth the trouble. What's your current mission? Are you needing to forge still?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

What's your current mission? Are you needing to forge still?

I’m currently looking for a bedroll and matches in PV before I tackle the Summit… I  may try and get the backpack from AC as well. Hopefully I’ll find a hammer somewhere along the line.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I’m currently looking for a bedroll and matches in PV before I tackle the Summit… I  may try and get the backpack from AC as well. Hopefully I’ll find a hammer somewhere along the line.

Summit without a bedroll is possible. I've done it very recently. But I would go to AC for the technical and crampons first. You've got to go one of the longer routes to avoid the really long climbs that are on pillars for rest side, I've never been able to make it up that way without a bedroll. I've had good luck with the PV having a hammer. So hopefully my luck can transfer to you!!

• Upvote 1

Vincent 2 / Day 4

The weather is clear, but bitingly cold. It soon improves to a toasty -4C, and I’m able to begin a torch chain from a mag-lensed warmup fire to protect myself on the way to the Townsite. 11B26B76-6463-4858-9847-FBBA7FE94B61.thumb.jpeg.3c3419bcf0658232c36b77cd981c31d4.jpegSpeaking of which, the Townsite is deserted. I don’t see or hear any wolves at all. I check all the cars in hope of a memento note or something, and finding nothing, I loot the garage. There’s the usual food, quality tools, and a hacksaw! 52A90648-9B80-4D40-A38F-75D559353EBF.thumb.jpeg.e131c253a3296f9bc4729e0a2a4d3c9b.jpegStill no matches, though. I light a fire in the fire barrel and put in enough fuel to sleep for three hours. I also decide to start getting well fed.

When I awake in the late afternoon, grandma fog has descended; FLT is almost positive. I take more torches from the fire barrel and hike up to… erm… never mind. 14D51B57-68C2-44FA-84EB-766CDE68B559.thumb.jpeg.3fa0443f5bbfb071d385ae8b4e205194.jpegThat bear came out of nowhere! I shamelessly save scum and begin the hike all over again.

I have to follow behind the bear for what seems like hours before getting impatient and dashing for a trailer to save.F7DD4B13-F228-4EFF-90BC-F88E3024D999.thumb.jpeg.927695b0de0385dd3e2f2e9e132273ca.jpeg I then get lost again and make my way up to a cluster of houses that I had no clue existed. Its getting dark and it looks like an aurora’s coming, so I put out my torch, repair my light shell, and call it a day.

• Upvote 1

Whoops, accidentally posted day 6 before day 5 :D.

Vincent 2 / Day 5

My pictures for today got deleted somehow, so you’ll have to make do with plain ol’ text…

The weather is clear but a bit on the chilly side. A wolf notices me right from the get-go, but I’m able to “walk” him all the way up to the lookout, where I take shelter and listen aghast as he climbs up the stairs after me and pounds on the door. Something about sprain and bruising insurance. I hide under the covers of the bed and he goes away.

From there, it’s a fairly straightforward hike to the Cinder Hills Mine, so I take it slow to conserve energy. Once inside, I vacuum up 37 pieces of coal and find a stim and another hacksaw, but no matches! Rrrrgh.

Pleasant Valley is actually pleasant, with clear skies and single-digit temperatures. I make my way down to Thompson’s Crossing after rejecting the call of the summit. Attempting it without bedroll or even coffee would be suicidal.

Anyway, I search the community hall and find a sweet new simple parka as well as some food, then duck into another house, where I cook potatoes well into the night.

• Upvote 2

On 10/7/2023 at 3:49 PM, conanjaguar said:

Whoops, accidentally posted day 6 before day 5 :D.

Vincent 2 / Day 5

My pictures for today got deleted somehow, so you’ll have to make do with plain ol’ text…

The weather is clear but a bit on the chilly side. A wolf notices me right from the get-go, but I’m able to “walk” him all the way up to the lookout, where I take shelter and listen aghast as he climbs up the stairs after me and pounds on the door. Something about sprain and bruising insurance. I hide under the covers of the bed and he goes away.

From there, it’s a fairly straightforward hike to the Cinder Hills Mine, so I take it slow to conserve energy. Once inside, I vacuum up 37 pieces of coal and find a stim and another hacksaw, but no matches! Rrrrgh.

Pleasant Valley is actually pleasant, with clear skies and single-digit temperatures. I make my way down to Thompson’s Crossing after rejecting the call of the summit. Attempting it without bedroll or even coffee would be suicidal.

Anyway, I search the community hall and find a sweet new simple parka as well as some food, then duck into another house, where I cook potatoes well into the night.

Plesant in the valley? Are you still playing TLD? 😂😂😂 

That's so much coal lol. What difficulty are you on? Or are you doing another custom run? 

I'm sorry your pictures didn't act right, they add a certain flare to the posting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Ummm how are you still not out of toilet water!?!!? Your run might be really the worst RNG ever or glitched to no end. 

Between CH and PV, there’s plenty of toilet water :D. I think that just the Farmhouse itself has three or four toilets…

Vincent 2 / Day 6

I awake in the afternoon to high winds and sunny skies. I finish searching the town, taking a short break to repair my boots up to 100%. I still haven’t found any matches, so I take all the toilet water I can.

When I’m done, the weather has calmed down somewhat to -12C temperatures. That’s as good as it is likely to get, so I head out to the Barn. I find some food, but nothing special, so I sleep for four hours in the truck to warm up.

Guess what PV has in store for me… a lovely opaque wall of snow.44223690-A8B9-4762-9F67-46835B3432CD.thumb.jpeg.a901baa9d618026a90d9c4c557c88217.jpeg I grumble and repair clothes for as long as I can, poking my head back out as the sun begins to set. It’s still snowing heavily, but at least I can see where I’m going.

And wouldn’t ya know it, the glowing snow gives me a headache and complicates navigation. I somehow get completely lost and end up at the Barnhouse instead of the Farmhouse. It’s too dark to do anything, so I fumble around to find a pile of hay in which to snooze.

• Upvote 1

Vincent 2 / Day 7

I awake in the early afternoon and begin the plank parkour up to the loft in hopes of finding a rabbit hat. Nada, but I do find maple syrup and a granola bar (‘noller bar as I’ve come to call it), both of which are wolfed down.

Outside, the weather is a steamy -10C with light fog to boot, and no wolves are in sight. I sprint across to the Farmhouse itself and begin searching. I find some ingredients, food, a can opener (useful), toilet water, and a second hockey jersey(!!) but NO MATCHES and NO COFFEE. Rrrrgh.09F99740-4C7D-4DF4-B609-23189A4D97EC.thumb.jpeg.87b000d7954c587832d28f2134508391.jpeg

I take a short nap and awake in the late afternoon to medium fog and warm-ish temperatures. I decide to head up to Signal Hill and try to find matches. Fortunately, the critters leave me alone, leaving me free to cut birch saplings, bop a bunny, and bop a ptarmigan before I duck inside the radio control hut. Oh, and I find a prybar as well, laying in the snow underneath the radio tower. Maybe someone was trying to get to the control box or something? I love these organically placed items.

I find some food and a tin of coffee, but NO MATCHES. I begin to tear out fistfuls of my hair as I repair clothes and harvest my fluffy friends well into the night, then induce food poisoning by eating all the raw meat. I chug Reishi tea and doze off.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The final stretch of the semester is starting to get to me, I haven’t had much time to play or write…

Vincent 2 / Day 8

The entirety of the day is occupied in moving back to Thompson’s Crossing, first stopping at the Farmhouse to replenish my stocks of toilet water. It remains foggy all day, so fire is not an option. For supper, I risk eating sardines and moldy granola bars. I don’t get food poisoning, thankfully. That would have been a disaster, since I have no antibiotics or tea.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, conanjaguar said:

Between CH and PV, there’s plenty of toilet water :D. I think that just the Farmhouse itself has three or four toilets…

Lol the farm has 2. One up stairs and one down. That's if we're talking about PV.

10 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

The final stretch of the semester is starting to get to me, I haven’t had much time to play or write…

Vincent 2 / Day 8

The entirety of the day is occupied in moving back to Thompson’s Crossing, first stopping at the Farmhouse to replenish my stocks of toilet water. It remains foggy all day, so fire is not an option. For supper, I risk eating sardines and moldy granola bars. I don’t get food poisoning, thankfully. That would have been a disaster, since I have no antibiotics or tea.

Don't stress on it. I've been out of commission for a few weeks it seems

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2023 at 9:20 PM, FaT McMarlin said:

Lol the farm has 2. One up stairs and one down. That's if we're talking about PV.

Don't stress on it. I've been out of commission for a few weeks it seems

Yeah, that’s the one.

Good to have ya back, pardner :).

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Yeah, that’s the one.

Good to have ya back, pardner :).

It's good to be back on a normal schedule. Life happens fast and you gotta flow with it at times.

The farm can be loaded. I love the way the house feels when I'm settling down and base stocking. Plus all the exits give your a safe dart out of there in multiple directions.

• Upvote 2

Vincent 2 / Day 9

I awake hungry. My only food is some 20% cans of soup, a 40% jug of maple syrup, and two tins of sardines. I chug the maple syrup; that should hold me over for a bit. Then I listen intently for the outside sounds. No wind. No shutters shaking. Could it be?

It is! Clear skies at last!!! It’s windy, but the Rim Grill that I camp at for hours doesn’t care. I light up with my mag lens and cook porridge,potatoes, and coffee. With a full belly, I decide to press on to TWM in spite of the wind.

I meet two wolves and a bear along the way, but I make them infight and get by unscathed. The bunker, as expected, has nothing. Oh well, all I need is the bed.

I sleep for a few hours and awake to a warm pink evening. It looks like an aurora is coming. Whatever. Damn the aurora wolves, full speed ahead!

Sure enough, the aurora shows up.2A2A3DD9-9D37-4FE1-8E44-FF0398947E77.thumb.jpeg.68bedab427290140e0c0e939ab4651c2.jpeg But fortune favors the bold, and the aurora wolves are on the other side of the lake in spite of my paranoia. I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I duck inside the Hut, where I play “catch the sardines” and find not one, but TWO packs of matches!!! Sweet success!!!

It’s warm enough for me to sleep without fire, so I eat a cold bowl of porridge, prepare some ‘shrooms, and hit the sack.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Vincent 2 / Day 10

A blizzard greets me in the morning. I had hoped to get going for the Summit, but oh well. I huddle by the fire until late afternoon, when the sun finally decides I’ve been in time out for long enough and starts to shine. Temperatures rise to a toasty -4C. I down a cup of coffee to mitigate fatigue and get going.

My memory about this next part is kinda hazy (I played this session last week), but I think I climbed the first two ropes without much trouble (besides a few wolf encounters that were easily avoided) and then started down Echo Ravine. Because, Y’know, that’s what you do. I think. I honestly don’t remember; it’s been months since I last climbed TWN.

Anyhoo, I get to a cave which I think will lead me further up the mountain. Only when I step into a puddle of freezing water do I realize that I have majorly screwed up. 2B8E1483-AB05-4A94-9AF7-B55BB947AFEB.thumb.jpeg.4b11b7f87f8e8d4d51d9fee9f197ade6.jpegThis is the cave to Blackrock! I’m too far in to turn back now. We all have to face our demons sometime.

I do get a jug of maple syrup as a consolation prize as I make my way through the cave. Eventually, when I emerge, it’s night and the aurora is about to come out to play. 424D6DB5-2AD3-4784-A2BE-BA8399D7281C.thumb.jpeg.da3454789f10e9592d9e52c05bf4bd99.jpegFortunately I’m fairly close to a trailer, so I duck inside and call it a day. These next few days are going to be tricky. I need coffee or even a bedroll before I can start back up the Summit again, and my food stocks are kinda skimpy.

• Upvote 1

Vincent 2 / Day 11

The weather in the morning is clear and cold, but not terribly, -12C. I risk food poisoning with a can of dog food, and, after a bit of scouting, I decide to head downhill past the burnt out farm. I see Timberwolves in the distance but am able to sneak past successfully and presently make it to a road. I stop to loot some flares from cars before following a helpful sign straight to the prison. FCD17A17-D667-4592-BC29-42B7DA671ACC.thumb.jpeg.afc3267be0e6b451d6aca0b4c9ae8e91.jpeg

The wind is rising, but not to worry, or so I think. I am surprised by the wolf INSIDE the compound and light a flare just in the nick of time before ducking into the big castle-like building. I follow some stairs down to the steam tunnels and promptly get lost in the maze of tunnels, wandering for HOURS. My reward? A single granola bar and some pieces of reclaimed wood. When I exit, I am at the power plant. Evening approaches and I’m tired, I need to find a bed.

Conveniently, there is an exit to the outside and a road for me to follow. Too conveniently, it turns out. Just after I reach the pickup truck, I am jumped by a pack of Timberwolves that come out of nowhere! I light a blue flare and beat a hasty retreat back, but they got some good bites on me. By the time I slam the gate in their faces, my condition is deep in the red; I estimate 6% or thereabouts. 19D29B91-C5DB-40FD-A1D4-4BD50830CB8A.thumb.jpeg.4668e2de2f56082194a146075538d7f0.jpegI apply a stim, bandage my three blood losses, and limp back through the steam tunnels to the relative safety of the prison itself. 1BD91EC6-4CFA-4B88-B3B5-BEAC4FC1A667.thumb.jpeg.27602f2794f432cc58c6670991a45f42.jpegI then limp over to the garage, light a fire, make two cups of herbal tea, and sleep for two six-hour stretches after eating whatever food I have, which is mostly moldy granola bars. Thankfully I don’t get food poisoning.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

Vincent 2 / Day 12

It’s a beautiful foggy morning. I want to leave the prison and get out of this godforsaken place. And then I have an awful realization: I don’t know where to find the exit! A crumbling wall presents a likely opportunity, but I am wary. After some debate, I down a hot cup of coffee and get going.

I meet no Timberwolves on this hike: I just follow the power lines. They have to lead someplace… and indeed they do. 25816CAF-111B-495B-9EED-43755BCE4C16.thumb.jpeg.6b5b30f00cf1d179a9f70fc713bfbbfd.jpegEventually I end up at a radio hut (or something), where I find more coffee! I sleep an hour or so and head out to make food for the rest of the journey. My last can of peaches and my last rose hip tea are consumed; I’m down to a handful of cattails, some mushy ‘noller bars, and two tins of sardines.

After spraining my wrist for no reason whatsoever, I linger in the flatlands a bit to gather cattails before continuing on… and on… across the narrow bridge… and to a dead end. I sleep a few hours in a handy car to regain energy and wake up to a blizzard in the middle of the night.

“Dammit”, I whisper. It’s only getting colder in the car; I need to go! So, off I go, fumbling blindly through the storm. It lets up a bit after a while, and then I see them. Timberwolves.CFAA10C2-65AF-4E61-AC84-1972431461DD.thumb.jpeg.01df2d260d2c97709bbbc1643fef281b.jpeg

The chase is on. It’s a desperate running battle that consists of me running, waving off the wolves, getting bitten, running some more, running into a dead end, running through the wolves, and running some more. Finally, after what seems like hours, I am right back at the narrow bridge. My last flare gives a final fizzle and dies. The wolves jam around the narrow plank, trying to cross. I try to light a torch: it’s too windy. I check the weather: -25C: too cold to retreat to the car.

I salute brave Vincent, flip the wolves the finger, and jump off the plank into the water below.480939D5-19D1-4A71-9A41-6EE9F9A50855.thumb.jpeg.64b5889da80b5309a8399755be5882cb.jpeg

• Upvote 1