Main Shelter RNG!

Stranzua

After playing Interloper for a little while, for example, I find it extremely tempting to just stay at the Lake Cabin in Mystery Lake. There are plenty of cattails, plenty of rabbits and ptarmigans, a cave close by for cabin fever, and once you start crafting snares or get tools/weapons, you can pretty much stay there forever. 

So, how would you feel if it was possible for major landmarks/shelters to be either smaller, different, switched, or even completely destroyed? For example, I would love to start a new game where I eventually travel to Forlorn Muskeg only to discover that Spencer's Farm is no longer an 'outside' shelter, but an actual 'inside' shelter. I would love to travel all the way to Mystery Lake only to discover that the Lake Cabin or Trappers are actually destroyed or are now only 'outside' shelters. I would love to travel all the way to Coastal Highway only to discover that Quonset is either destroyed or now an 'outside' shelter. I would love to travel to Timberwolf Mountain/Ash Canyon only to discover that the Mountaineers hut/Angler's Den are now much bigger. I would love to travel to Spencer's only to discover that the forge is NOT there, only to find it on the first floor of the Lake Cabin in Mystery Lake, Trappers, or even inside the Dam, Etc. 

In my opinion, this can add even more variety and value to certain maps and areas that are mostly used temporarily, turning those regions into long term homes if we wanted to. 

Edited by Stranzua
  • Upvote 4

Personally, I love this idea. Any kind of randomization would add even more replay value to a game that already has a lot of replay value, and Hinterland can always start small. Even randomizing something like stoves, ovens, fireplaces, and fire barrels would be interesting. I've never chosen to make Hydro Carter Dam a base because it only has that one fire barrel, and it's not exactly close to any entrance. If you give Carter Dam a 6-slot oven, however, that switches things up a bit. Start changing the forge locations and other things like buildings around, then that adds even more variety to each playthrough.

• Upvote 2

This is a great idea. It would be neat for stoves and fireplaces, workbenches, etc. to be found in different places, or find that some major locations are different. What I loved about this game when I first started was not knowing where anything is, and I think a feature like this would revive that kind of gameplay a little. 

Edited by Pencil
  • Upvote 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:01 PM, Stranzua said:

So, how would you feel if it was possible for major landmarks/shelters to be either smaller, different, switched, or even completely destroyed?

That did kind of happen to me: one of the updates destroyed the lookout tower in ML. They added a second, intact one, but that was definitely mind blowing when I'd left the game for a few months, then came back thinking I'd gone insane.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, Pencil said:

This is a great idea. It would be neat for stoves and fireplaces, workbenches, etc. to be found in different places, or find that some major locations are different. What I loved about this game when I first started was not knowing where anything is, and I think a feature like this would revive that kind of gameplay a little. 

This exactly what I was thinking, especially after completing 'faithful cartographer' and trying Interloper. Randomizing loot and randomizing major shelters could bring that 'freshness' back into the experience. Exploring the island for the first time was the best aspect of the game, in my opinion. It was addicting.