As The Dead Sleep Bug? - Deer spawned and started healing after Ravine Basin

Retro Seamstress

First time posting here so apologies if this is a known bug. I recently decided to have a go at the As The Dead Sleep challenge. After a couple of failed attempts to get out of Bleak Inlet, I managed to get going on a good run. I've done the graves in BR, HRV, TWM, and had just visited the grave in the Ravine Basin and slept in the cave next to it before exiting. Today I've opened the game, climbed back up the rope and got a surprise when I saw a deer wandering around. Saw a second deer on my way back to the cave where I'd dropped some stuff. Thought it was odd as deer aren't meant to spawn in this challenge and I this is the first I've seen of them so far. After having a sleep in the cave I noticed that my health had recovered a bit (it was on around 75%, now it looks around 90%), which I know definitely isn't supposed to happen. I also noticed that Birch Bark Tea is now appearing on the crafting menu, which it shouldn't be. 

Anyone else had this happen to them? I want to complete the challenge properly, but since I slept and the game saved I'm worried I've ruined my run and will have to start over. I tried closing the game and opening it again, but it looks like it's still the same.

18 hours ago, Retro Seamstress said:

First time posting here so apologies if this is a known bug. I recently decided to have a go at the As The Dead Sleep challenge. After a couple of failed attempts to get out of Bleak Inlet, I managed to get going on a good run. I've done the graves in BR, HRV, TWM, and had just visited the grave in the Ravine Basin and slept in the cave next to it before exiting. Today I've opened the game, climbed back up the rope and got a surprise when I saw a deer wandering around. Saw a second deer on my way back to the cave where I'd dropped some stuff. Thought it was odd as deer aren't meant to spawn in this challenge and I this is the first I've seen of them so far. After having a sleep in the cave I noticed that my health had recovered a bit (it was on around 75%, now it looks around 90%), which I know definitely isn't supposed to happen. I also noticed that Birch Bark Tea is now appearing on the crafting menu, which it shouldn't be. 

Anyone else had this happen to them? I want to complete the challenge properly, but since I slept and the game saved I'm worried I've ruined my run and will have to start over. I tried closing the game and opening it again, but it looks like it's still the same.

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues. For further assistance, please reach out via the Support Portal: http://hinterlandgames.com/support

We look forward to helping you further!

4 hours ago, Admin said:

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues. For further assistance, please reach out via the Support Portal: http://hinterlandgames.com/support

We look forward to helping you further!

I submitted a bug report. I decided to keep playing it and when I reloaded it the deer had disappeared and I no longer appeared to be healing, but the birch bark tea was still in the crafting menu. After leaving The Ravine though I realised that it wasn't just the deer that had disappeared as I didn't see or hear a single wolf on the entire trip from The Ravine to The Ryken in DP. 

On 7/14/2023 at 6:20 PM, Retro Seamstress said:

I submitted a bug report. I decided to keep playing it and when I reloaded it the deer had disappeared and I no longer appeared to be healing, but the birch bark tea was still in the crafting menu. After leaving The Ravine though I realised that it wasn't just the deer that had disappeared as I didn't see or hear a single wolf on the entire trip from The Ravine to The Ryken in DP. 

Thank you for submitting the report. We'll follow up if we have any additional questions, and we appreciate your patience. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 3:20 AM, Retro Seamstress said:

I didn't see or hear a single wolf on the entire trip from The Ravine to The Ryken in DP. 

I recently played ATDS and noticed this too. Did you have any mods installed?

This is what I found when I tried to start the ATDS challenge last weekend.

1. I dont know after which update this happened, but when I went to start ATDS challenge, I noticed the badge was already achieved. I've never played it.
2. Started ATDS. BI was cold/windy as expected. Lost some health getting to FM cave via Short cut route to avoid timberwolves. Entered FM and noticed the wolves were running away like in Pilgrim.
3. Slept at FM forge. Noticed I gained health next morning.
4. Pleasant / marginal cold temps all the way through since this moment.
5. Noticed there were no wildlife anywhere in the region. None at all.
6. Not sure if they have rejigged the loot tables, but I didn't find typical loot at specific points. Eg: no stim in open cave near to the climb to get to Milton basin from upper FM (a moose spawns here). Also, no flare gun in Ravine.
7. I uninstalled the game as I had a couple of mods installed. I though it was due to this. I installed it afresh, verified the files via steam. A new ATDS run has no wildlife right from the start. Also birch bark tea causes health to recover. Not to mention, ample pilgrim level loot.

8. When I completed the challenge the first time, it was 6days and change. But my best time showed "under a minute".

Edit: I've logged a support ticket.

Edited by StillNomad
added edit

Then I guess I must have started a run only after this update. I'm not encountering any wildlife. It's just me, nice weather and ample loot. Its a canter ATM.

Also wanted to add that that the character's voice has disappeared in ATDS. No verbal cues at all. Started a test voyager run. All seems normal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 6:11 AM, StillNomad said:

6. Not sure if they have rejigged the loot tables, but I didn't find typical loot at specific points. Eg: no stim in open cave near to the climb to get to Milton basin from upper FM (a moose spawns here). Also, no flare gun in Ravine.

I'm sure you probably know by now, but the stim in the cave by the basin and the distress pistol in the ravine have been removed as of the TFTFT pt. 3 release in June. (Possibly sooner? It may have been since pt. 1 or 2).

Any updates on your reports? I've been thinking of playing ATDS, but if there's still issues with it I'd rather wait.