EP4 final chapter bug

Tilt

When escaping the convicts at the end of ep4 I get to the steam tunnels and start going down the stairs but no matter what I do the game ends w/ the convicts catching me, even though there are no convicts around.

I then loaded a previous save where Mathis was about to kill me and the explosion happens, but after they run away and I stand up, when I get to the place where the Jace triggers the lockdown there's no one there and no cut scene of Jace triggering the lockdown happens. I can continue the episode through suffocation area but then I have no more cursor when hovering over containers and no new cut scenes trigger. I can't advance the story like this.

What can be done about this bug? If I submit my save file can it help to debug this?

Tks!

In the first place, if there was no folding chair to wedge under the door knob (to keep it closed) leading into the Steam Tunnels then your capture by the convicts was inevitable.  I think the act of wedging the chair under the door knob is automatic, like when exiting the warden's building to the rooftop there would have been a chair that would (I think) automatically been used to wedge that exit door closed and similar the plank of wood for the door next to where you came down from the rooftop pathway.  If the chair was there on the floor but not something to interact with then you know you're not going to make it. 

In the second place, if you tried skipping past the dialog cut scene (you didn't say at what point you actually saved) you had a chance of derailing the game's event tracking, which can screw up most if not all subsequent events, and what you encountered after the reload indicates that is the script got derailed.  You didn't mention it but probably couldn't pick up Astrid's case from the warden's desk too and no phone call from Molly.  

Chances are that even that save you referred to maybe tainted and you'd have to go even further back to get past whatever script glitch has occurred.  Or maybe quit out of the save game, then quit out of the game and start it back up.  Sometimes just reloading a save game does not change internal settings of the main game and you get the same bad result. 

The minute the script goes off-track, any further progress would almost certainly be futile.  You may have to go back into the end of the previous chapter and play through from there.  

Just guessing here.  Good luck.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, Tilt said:

When escaping the convicts at the end of ep4 I get to the steam tunnels and start going down the stairs but no matter what I do the game ends w/ the convicts catching me, even though there are no convicts around.

I then loaded a previous save where Mathis was about to kill me and the explosion happens, but after they run away and I stand up, when I get to the place where the Jace triggers the lockdown there's no one there and no cut scene of Jace triggering the lockdown happens. I can continue the episode through suffocation area but then I have no more cursor when hovering over containers and no new cut scenes trigger. I can't advance the story like this.

What can be done about this bug? If I submit my save file can it help to debug this?

Tks!

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with The Long Dark.

We suggest following up via our Support Portal for further assistance: http://hinterlandgames.com/support

We appreciate the opportunity to look into this for you. 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, Tilt said:

I did open a ticket through here

https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Attached my player.log and my save file but still had no response.

Anything else  I can provide to help you debug this?

Thank you for filing a ticket. 

We'll be back in touch if we have additional questions, but we appreciate your patience in the meantime. If you haven't received a response by later this week, please don't hesitate to reach out again and we can follow up on this for you. 

On 6/13/2023 at 6:53 PM, Tilt said:

I made a video of the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21xhcuqz6yx6zpd/The Long Dark 2023.06.13 - 22.46.13.03.mp4?dl=0

Unfortunately I don't have an earlier save, so I can't go back further to see if the problem fixes itself. Still no reply from support and I don't know that there's a way to update the ticket w/ this video.

Thank you for including this. We'll make sure to pass this along to our Support Team.