The Tales in Interloper mode: Be careful what you ask for.

So I've started dipping my toes into the Tales content as an interloper and it is just as the devs said: very difficult.  I have no idea where any of the new content is (by preference), so I'm staggering around in the middle of the night with the shortwave in my hand, absolutely freezing to death because, well, it's late at night.  To make matters worse, I have the shortwave in my hand rather than my bow, and so it's that much more difficult to fight the aurora wildlife.

I've had more wolf struggles (three) in one in-game day than I've had in the previous two hundred.  I've concluded that, at a minimum, all the wolves in a zone need to be terminated before I go stumbling around at night with a radio.  Preferably with double bear coats.

Anyway, thank you devs.  I'll be freezing my butt off and bleeding to death, and loving every second of it.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I've concluded that, at a minimum, all the wolves in a zone need to be terminated before I go stumbling around at night with a radio

This.

You can fight the cold with enough coal, teas and stuff, but you can't do anything if a aurora wolf oneshot you. The only way to have a 'safe' experience it's fully cleaning the region before the aurora night.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

So I've started dipping my toes into the Tales content as an interloper and it is just as the devs said: very difficult.  I have no idea where any of the new content is (by preference), so I'm staggering around in the middle of the night with the shortwave in my hand, absolutely freezing to death because, well, it's late at night.  To make matters worse, I have the shortwave in my hand rather than my bow, and so it's that much more difficult to fight the aurora wildlife.

I've had more wolf struggles (three) in one in-game day than I've had in the previous two hundred.  I've concluded that, at a minimum, all the wolves in a zone need to be terminated before I go stumbling around at night with a radio.  Preferably with double bear coats.

Anyway, thank you devs.  I'll be freezing my butt off and bleeding to death, and loving every second of it.

Thank you for your feedback, and good luck on your adventures! 

• Upvote 1

Indeed, doing the Tales on Interloper is extremely difficult. It requires top-tier patience, planning, and awareness. Especially patience! I've been absolutely loving the experience. It has made so many of the regions fresh again.

• Upvote 1

Im using a setup to have "safer" aurora nights for the tale,  and works in most regions.

First of all:  Always carry the ballistic vest and good protection clothing. Makes an inmense difference and saves you from otherwise deaths.

The strategy consist on:

Make a campfire with full duration in a shielded outdoor place near the part of the region you want to explore. Then have full scent and start exploring the region a bit to draw the attention of everything, killing the wolves in any place or leading them to the campfire for safer kills.

This should be doed before the night, at the last hours of the day.

Once the region it's clear, wait at the campfire or a safehouse for the aurora. Use teas before traveling and carry at least one heated tea with you; don't hesitate to make any count of quick campfires with a piece of coal to warm up sometimes.

Another option i have tried and works very well, it's setup various full duration (shielded) campfires around the place you are gonna explore, and using them as stops for warming up, saving time and using them as landmarks for easy navegation.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2023 at 3:15 PM, Glacia said:

First of all:  Always carry the ballistic vest and good protection clothing

After exploring most regions caches, this is the most solid advice if not mandatory point of all.

No matter what you do or how carefull you are, it's very common to end on an accidental struggle due to the nature of aurora nights. The ballistic best paired with good protection clothing like the Moose coat and other high tier clothing, offers an unmatched protection %, enough to survive most wolf attacks without losing critical condition.

I really like the fact that after a lot of time, finally the ballistic best have a solid use.

• Upvote 1