"Safehouse Customization"

ajb1978

Just looking to see what peoples' opinion is of the perfect "Safehouse Customization" option. HL's probably well underway so I doubt this topic is going to have much of an impact, this is more an intellectual curiosity.

I personally would appreciate a bilateral approach. Half menu-based option picking and watching the wheel fill up, and half real-time action. To clarify, say you have the option to pick from a menu how much time you want to invest in cleaning up. And it's incremental, say a total of 100 hours and the place is spic and span. But you of course have to manage your needs, and once the sun goes down, your job is done unless you start a fire or light a lamp. Edit: And perhaps you get a dump chest of cloth, leather, reclaimed wood, and scrap metal for your efforts.

The other half? Basically the Placing Anywhere mod. Let's just make that one official content, since frankly I think it should've been in the base game from the get-go.

Edited by ajb1978

Dozens of hours is too extreme. I don't even really want it to be time based. Or only take a very short time. 5 minutes to remove a trash decal is fine.

Moving furniture could be nice. They need to find a solution to places with no loading screens though, so you can't carry it outside. Moving a bed to a cave may make sense, but probably not the way the game should go.

I want to fix those broken half-open drawers. And build some new storage boxes.

Basically the Placing Anywhere mod

Definitely. Except for it applying to camp fires. That causes all sorts of issues.

• Upvote 1

I want to be able to clean up my base and get rid of all the unsightly stuff and clutter. If it takes some time that is fine with me. 

I want to fix broken stuff like drawers and cabinets. Maybe need to make nails at a forge or find them somehow. The back of the hatchet makes a good hammer.

I want to pick up a fallen chair and put it somewhere as well as move furniture around. Maybe build some simple furniture like a shelf or gun rack that can be placed. I like to display all the riffles I found. One for each base.

And anything else to make my base more homey for long runs.

I don't think 'usable' items are gonna be movable, like beds. Surely it's a pure cosmetic feature, and it is better that way.

Possible mechanics inspired by mods:

- Basically adding the 'placing anywhere' mod to the base game.

- Collectibles with no weight, as decorations.

- Remove clutter, reorganize stuff and containers inside safehouses and certain places with no loading screens, but not outdoors.

- Nails and furniture craft.

- Moving most stuff indoors in your desired placement.

- Unlikely, fixing certain features in some safehouses to improve certain things. For a example, repairing the TWM hut roof and closing the windows with planks.

Adding a lot of collectibles, cosmetic items and other stuff could be very interesting; it has no survival porpouses but offers a very fun new system to the game.