Rifle holster. New thing to think of.

acada

So I got the holster recently. It was nice experience to roam through maps. I usually settle for while in each map, but this tale pushed me to nomad style. Now the holster. My current equip is backpack, satchel, crampons and earwrap. I absolutelly love crampons. The way it gives you wings while climbing rope is great. When you have the satchel + earwraps + crampons, you can go to the rope and switch to crampons and be good (when you were not overburdened before). But when you have the outer utility slot occupied by holster, it is different thing. You may be not encumbered while walking to the rope, but when you equip crampons et voila, you cannot climb unless you leave something behind.

Maybe as I was pushed to more nomadic style, I should carry not up to limit, but less. 

• Upvote 1

We will see. For example the balistic vest. I found it and after few minutes I decided, it is not for my playstyle. I can negotiate with wolfes and bears without it. I can collect it and put it on shelf as nice trophy, but thats it. But the holster... two kilos down of encuberance is tempting and nice.

The limitations of the Accesory slots it's an old problem, because keep releasing items for this clothing slot it's almost meaningless, players are not gonna use them im most cases.

For a example, there is nothing wrong with the Rifle Holster, but you don't have a lot of reasons to use it because stronger accesory items exists.

A lot of players suggest a separate slots for different accesories, like an extra slot on foots for the crampons or switch the ballistic vest to a inner torso pierce rather than being an accesory. I don't see this happening, but could make a lot of sense.

42 minutes ago, Glacia said:

The limitations of the Accesory slots it's an old problem, because keep releasing items for this clothing slot it's almost meaningless, players are not gonna use them im most cases.

For a example, there is nothing wrong with the Rifle Holster, but you don't have a lot of reasons to use it because stronger accesory items exists.

A lot of players suggest a separate slots for different accesories, like an extra slot on foots for the crampons or switch the ballistic vest to a inner torso pierce rather than being an accesory. I don't see this happening, but could make a lot of sense.

I actually like the way it is... forcing the player to make choices relevant to the areas of the map they are planning to travel through rather than expanding it to allow us to pack (and/or wear) everything around all the time.  Things are also going to change somehow when the travois and the safehouse mechanics get into the game.

Regarding the rifle holster, a lot is going to depend on which rifle a person wants to carry... probably essential if wanting to use the new heavier variant, but not really useful if wanting to use the lighter one.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I started varying my style of play from one set lineup, to multiple lineups depending on my current objective. Normal lineup is the warmest and most animal proof clothes. This is a heavy lineup. I then carry a bunch of food, water, and all the tools/weapons/ammo. I go light on the first aid, but not as light as I could. With the DLC, started wearing a light outfit that was still warm, but no where near the protection. In all cases up until now, I have gone with Vaughn's rifle to help with weight as a rifle is a rifle, though the longer range version is tempting...especially now that the rifle holster is here. That does mean some crampon rethought, which I have not taken off since I got them! I already get too may sprains as I tend to carry at or over my limit. Light lineup limits food as well, and I compensate by leaving a trail of meat/water on the normal paths I travel.  A third lineup is the heavy clothes, but I leave more tools and weapons and food behind. This is really nice because you can whisk across the map and gather a lot of goodies to take back to base camp, but adds a little more risk cuz no flare for bear for instance. If you know the maps well, and don't get caught doing something sketch, this works pretty well. So situational dependent, still working on lineups, but these three are now ones I consider before each outing. This DLC added a few nice things that I need to work into the mix and figure out, which keeps the game fresh and I am a fan of. The game is fun as is, but gets stale after a while if there isn't something new to do or think about. Glad HL is doing this DLC and I was super happy to fork out some cash for it. I got in on the deal right after beta or whatever, Steam sale to boot, and sometimes felt like I was stealing from the devs because I paid so little for a game I have played more than any other game I can remember...

Yup planning ahead is now more involved in my playstyle. Right now I was in Blackrock. Going from prison to mine. So crampons, no rifle, lightweight. Man those two climbs are loong and tiring. And sprinting through gassed area ... yuck cough cough.