New hurricane lantern for base building

Boneviolin

As hinterland is teasing us with the idea of mechanics in base building, candles have been suggested quite a bit. An alternative could also be a lantern. So I thought and figured out a nice way of implementing it. 

A slow burning, but less practical lantern variant. So basically I tried to Make it as balanced for it's intended purpose. Being placed around your base. Not only would an old hurricane lantern like in the Image be cool as hell but also extremely fitting for great bear and all of it's old infrastructure. It would only make sense if you could find these. 

IMG_20230405_100102_194.thumb.jpg.fe21d10de3d0d8ac59a2bb234be70696.jpg

pros

It will run out of fuel a lot slower, so you don't have to worry refueling them Every day. (Doesn't have to mean that they last a full day) Just once in a while. 

cons

they are weak and can break, they need matches to start, maybe emits a little less light, stinky.

So I should probably specify. It is a worse variant of The lantern that shouldn't Be used, but can Be used. It is weak, so it will either take a big amount of damage or break entirely from impact. Like fall damage or getting attacked from an animal. Imagine breaking your lantern in a cave. That's what I meant by shouldn't be used. Realisticly it could also start a fire, but that wouldn't really fit in TLD. It could still leave a burning scrap behind tho, that can give you burns. It can Be extinguished or will do on it's own after some time. The lanterns don't have an automated lighter in them so you will need to light it with matches just like the torch. You could also light it from a camfire or a lit torch from the ground. This could also work with The combination of candles. If you have some candles around, you can pick one up and light each lantern with it. I thought that the lanterns would also have a dimmer light, because the model I am thinking of is a less modern than the standard one in TLD. And well, lanterns like that tend to be a bit stinky.

So they are perfect for being placed around your base, but are less practical on your travels. 

Edited by Boneviolin
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

The lantern you show was what I would have expected to be the then-kerosene fueled storm lantern not the Coleman style lantern that currently exists in the game.  

Lamps much like those that were in the steam tunnels of Episode 4 would be more what I would think of as lamps that would tend to be kept indoors as their design would not be as resistant to strong winds and drafts, and more subject to breakage and less wieldy when moved around or taken outside.  

They would also beg for some kind of splinter that could be drawn or lit from a fire to light the lamp/lantern.  It would be near unthinkable for anyone to expend lots of matches, depending on the situation, just to routinely light the lamp/lantern.  I would assume that the fuel use of such a lamp/lantern would mirror that of the existing storm lantern in the game.  

Other than those thoughts, no objections to the devs putting something like that into the game.  

• Upvote 1