Meriel's Journal - Exploring the Isle

Day 315
Forlorn Muskeg - Great Bear Island

So...it's come to this? Writing in a journal to keep my sanity.

Damn it Meriel...you couldn't make it one entire year before you started to feel yourself crack?

I was holed up at Old Spence tonight while I continued my trek to sketch out important locations around Great Bear when I saw the most vibrant Aurora I've seen in...well...as long as I can remember anyway. I'm thankful this old camera is still holding up. I'm not quite sure what I'd do if I couldn't capture these moment when they happen.

The wolves were on the prowl, one even made their way inside the Homestead while I tried to sleep last night.

My archery skills are improving...as long as I don't "overthink it". Nock, aim, release Meriel. It's not that difficult. I've hand to settle too many conflicts with the preditors through knife fights. If my focus was better, I might just land a kill shot more often than I do now.

Tonight, however, the quiet, starry sky above feels as though Great Bear is attempting to reassure us that this hellscape will come to an end sometime soon. Maybe I'm wrong...but I'd rather that than to know outright that we have no way of destination.

I'll get through this. I have to...

Signed, Meriel

screen_e6835f6a-c96a-464f-ba3e-98db6b4e1305_hi.png

screen_c5d8784f-ba69-4e49-97bd-52d3612281b9_hi.png

• Upvote 2

Day 331
Mountain Town - Great Bear Island

I've covered more ground in the past 16 days than I've done at any point in the past. Looking over my notes, I'm roughly 90% sure I've mapped out the majority of Great Bear, excluding the Far Territories.

Most of the supplies have made their way back to Timberwolf Mountain...though I'm bringing back more than a pack full of gear this time around.

Then north-west is becoming inhospitable. I stepped out of the Orca Gas Station and was surrounded by a pack of wolves that were prowling the area. I would have dropped all of them if I had the ammo...damned wolves.

Speaking of, I'm in need of a resupply. Ammunition is getting low, so it may be time to head back to Blackrock to forge more bullets and arrowheads.

I need some rest. It's been at least a month on the go, working out this map project. Honestly, I'm beginning to question my own sanity...

Signed, Meriel

screen_7ba6fc6b-2056-4431-b495-c60afbf46256_hi.png

• Upvote 2

Day 342
Blackrock - Great Bear Island

Sometimes, the Aurora can be quite tranquil. I stayed over night in the guard shack at the prison to recover from the trip in. Two packs of Timberwolves stalking the grounds on my path to the prison, so after I tended to my wounds, I headed to the Workshop to begin replenishing my ammunition supply. I was down to my last 20 rounds of revolver ammo, so this was a much needed stop.

I make sure to rest well before fueling the forge on the ammunition workbench. When I awoke, the twinkling lights of the drill press and all the computer systems brought such joy.

In all, the trip yielded 114 rounds of revolver ammo, and another 30 rounds for the rifle.

There's a chill in the air though, almost as though change is coming.

Signed, Meriel

screen_88140126-a904-4679-9e7f-0f6c17f41358_hi.png

• Upvote 2

Day 360
Transfer Pass - Great Bear Island

A few days ago, I made a trek back to the Airfield. Sometime, in my eagerness to explore such this area, I had overlooked a small, handheld radio. I'm not entirely sure how it works yet, but tonight, while the Aurora remained overhead, the radio came to life.

I'm still working out the details, but after I powered up the transmitter, as the note mentioned to do, I figured I would have seen something.

But the Aurora...that's the power source. It's the reason I've seen nothing up to this point.

The note mentioned rogue transmissions. I suppose I should investigate.

Signed, Meriel

screen_3cc788b1-0551-4bfd-822f-0cfbf4a5279d_hi.png

Edited by Merrak
  • Upvote 2

Day 365
Forlorn Muskeg - Great Bear Island

See that fire pit? One of the first times I every truly felt like I would die was right there. I was freezing, in a panic, trying to get out of the blizzard.

The ice broke beneath me, and as I went for a dip in the frozen water, I saw the past flash before my eyes. It has been 200+ days since this incident...and a year of isolation.

I'm concerned how things aren't going to get better any time soon. I mean, how can I be the only person alive on the entirety of Great Bear? And why me?! Honestly, I just want peace.

Signed, Meriel

screen_86bb748b-6813-4a4a-bb90-f25a88608b7c_hi.png

• Upvote 2

*Spoilers below, will hide, but read at your own risk*

Day 373
Pleasant Valley - Great Bear Island

I woke from my sleep to the sound of flashing lights and the radio playing some old music. Earlier that day, I repaired a Transmitter Tower on top of Signal Hill, and immediately, I get to test this out.

This is the first time I'll get to track the signal, so I step out front and click on the radio.

The signal is strong, and as I point to the source, it gets stronger. I take several paces forward and just as soon as I began, I'm stopped dead in my tracks.

"Why the fuck is this bear glowing"...I think to myself as I quickly run back inside. In a panic, not wanting to lose the signal, I move the back of the house, step outside and once again, regain signal.

Maybe I'll fire off a round at it's head, that might deter him...but I don't have to. As I step off the porch, the bear turned and headed away from me.

I follow the signal to what appears to be a prepper's bunker, but I'm alive only because I chose to hide from the bear immediately.

Signed, Meriel

screen_3f8d3faf-8a28-4a3e-8a37-b30ce3077f71_hi.png

• Upvote 2

*Spoilers below, will hide, but read at your own risk*

Day 395
Timber Wolf Mountain - Great Bear Island

It's night time, which means preparation for the journey ahead. I'm drawn to the east of lower Great Bear Island...and once the sun rises, I'll trek towards the Mining Tunnels.

It's been an adventurous day as I went back to Blackrock in search of the final Transmission Tower(s) in the region.

The take-home for the past few days has been pretty great, and as the stash continues to grow, hopes of surviving becomes stronger every day.

I'm headed towards Coastal Highway, and the Quanset Hut for a brief stay. Something tells me there very well might be another tower in the region.

Also...the hockey jersey...it's a terrible shame it's not a Wings jersey. But I guess the "Northern Ice" will just have to be enough.

Signed, Meriel

screen_cc93069c-09ee-43ae-bb52-9d9bbb75bea6_hi.png

Edited by Merrak
Wrong date
  • Upvote 1

Day 400
Coastal Highway - Great Bear Island

It's been 400 days since this all started. I wouldn't say anything is really "easier" to sort out in my own head, but life is a bit more manageable by now.

There's really know way to know how this will all end. As each day passes, I learn more about the island, and even myself. A year ago, I was barely staying warm from the elements. Now though, I'm safe and secure, food and ammo remain the most treasured items that remain, and both continue to dwindle down.

But now I'm in search of something more. I don't know what that something is...but I'll be sure to write it here so that when my mind finally goes...I have a reference point.

Signed, Meriel

screen_0722bcf7-d71a-42f9-9c20-830062ea1f2c_hi.png

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Day 410
Timberwolf Mountain - Great Bear Island

Some mornings I wake up and wonder if this is all worth it. You know, the daily struggle between surviving the world and defending myself from the wildlife. The other night, I looked out from the doorway of the cabin and the wolves prowled the exterior.

Why do I keep going? I wonder what the point of it all is...but in reality...it's the fear of death.

I'd rather spend every waking moving striving to survive another day than to give in and let it all consume me.

But some mornings, like this...that darkness begins to creep in...and there's nothing I do to stop it.

Signed, Meriel

screen_09176d1d-00cf-46e9-8178-725e8aef47da_hi.png

• Upvote 2

Day 417

Things have become boring, so I decided to get out of the "house" for a bit and spend some time outdoors.

Thankfully, the shelter house next to my mountaineer's rope back to Timberwolf Mountain is the perfect spot to make camp.

It's nice to get out and just live off the land for a few days. Who knows how long this will last, but it sure beats sitting inside the cabin all day.

Who knows...maybe when I've had my fix with the staying outdoors...I'll find something productive to do with my time. I do need to make more ammunition...

Signed, Meriel

screen_a40a9616-94a4-4b8e-9fcb-3e1958a5146f_hi.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Day 427

It seems the outdoor adventure has been going well for me thus far. Plenty of game prowling around to ensure food isn't scarce.

There was an incredible blizzard that ran through here earlier today...but when it left, the sky opened up and a silence fell over the abandoned shack.

I'll spend tomorrow gathering more firewood. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to head back just yet. The outdoor adventure has actually been pretty relaxing.

Signed, Meriel

screen_ea15c5df-d864-4000-a546-5c7bdbc26313_hi.png

• Upvote 2