A couple of questions/observations

* I started making an inventory of the loot I have all over the Island. This lead me to think about what each item is used for and such. And now I have questions: I have about a dozen or so sewing kits, however I know you can also use fish hooks to sew. Do the fish hooks wear? If not, other than a time factor, why would I ever use anything else to repair clothes?

* What do you think about certain items being ruined and having no further use? Bow, sewing kit, whetstone are examples of things I just put in a trash pile. Seems as if the game would allow us to recover something from these items, no?

* Why do I have to pick up a ruined piece of meat to eat it? Seems odd...

* Why are there a couple of different interfaces to cooking? I really would like to see this standardized.

11 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

* I started making an inventory of the loot I have all over the Island. This lead me to think about what each item is used for and such. And now I have questions: I have about a dozen or so sewing kits, however I know you can also use fish hooks to sew. Do the fish hooks wear? If not, other than a time factor, why would I ever use anything else to repair clothes?

* What do you think about certain items being ruined and having no further use? Bow, sewing kit, whetstone are examples of things I just put in a trash pile. Seems as if the game would allow us to recover something from these items, no?

* Why do I have to pick up a ruined piece of meat to eat it? Seems odd...

* Why are there a couple of different interfaces to cooking? I really would like to see this standardized.

• Yes, hook/line for sewing does wear them out.  Sewing kits are there for early game use.
  • Maybe salvage something from the Bow, but I can see the others becoming worthless
  • Do you prefer to eat the meat from the ground like an animal? ;)
  • Not recalling the differences, can you provide screenshots?

17 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Hello Tony and welcome,

I think the Dev Team is working on the update rollout and that quality-of-life changes to the Survival Mode of the game may take a while longer.

• The early updates to the cooking mechanics were a big change and introduced a new learning curve to the game
  • Some issues with the early cooking interface that resulted in accidental food poisoning were fixed
  • Early-game cooking inventory, (cans, pots, tea, birch, coffee, canned food, fish, meat), can make scrolling a bit of a chore
  • Often best to cook in batches using outdoor fireplaces and dropping all meat on the ground, (to remove scent)
  • I do wish the warming-by-fire, (of tea, coffee, and canned food), would allow warming without the risk of burning

Nice to see you in the forum Tony, hope you have a great week. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in
punctuation

@hozz1235 Screen shots, sure! See below for both the cooking "issue" and the eating off the ground "issue". None of my observations are intended to be complaints, but more so nice changes that I personally would like. So in the first and second image, you see ruined rabbit on the ground, select it, and I get TWO choices. Second shot is a piece of ruined bear meat, but I took it inside the cabin and cooked it, then came and dropped it on the ground like the rabbit. I select it, and now I get a third option: to eat it. So YES I want to eat off the ground like an animal to save myself some clicks. LOLZ! After all I CAN take the ruined rabbit, then select my inventory, scroll to it, and eat it. Just a bit more "work" to get to the same state.

Second set of images are on the SAME STOVE. One is the interface you get without a pot, the other is with a pot. What I like about the with a pot interface is a) it puts raw meats up front which is almost always what I am cooking, and b) it is easier to select an item vice side scrolling the items in the no pot interface.

@s7mar7inThanks for the kind words. Understood on all and again I am not really complaining, just making observations and hoping one day some of these not really issues things are fixed. I think it would also make the code a lot cleaner and easier to maintain as having two methods for doing the same thing is always harder to maintain. I developed software for years, and one thing I hate is technical debt and code that isn't as concise and devoid of complexity as possible. That said, this is a game and the fate of NASA isn't hanging in the balance. BTW, I still manage to give myself food poisoning from time to time...not the devs fault, totally mine!!

screen_(39, 17, 29)_a2439e18-8204-4f69-8d4e-6c12fa5b3615.png

screen_(39, 17, 29)_e66135e3-526c-4a44-b05f-f088d5b78e67.png

screen_(-4, 2, 7)_e9053824-9319-405d-ba46-36dca2a81b18.png

screen_(-5, 2, 7)_432c58a3-51b3-40cf-8719-fc82ac474ad1.png

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley

14 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

@hozz1235 Screen shots, sure! See below for both the cooking "issue" and the eating off the ground "issue". None of my observations are intended to be complaints, but more so nice changes that I personally would like. So in the first and second image, you see ruined rabbit on the ground, select it, and I get TWO choices. Second shot is a piece of ruined bear meat, but I took it inside the cabin and cooked it, then came and dropped it on the ground like the rabbit. I select it, and now I get a third option: to eat it. So YES I want to eat off the ground like an animal to save myself some clicks. LOLZ! After all I CAN take the ruined rabbit, then select my inventory, scroll to it, and eat it. Just a bit more "work" to get to the same state.

Second set of images are on the SAME STOVE. One is the interface you get without a pot, the other is with a pot. What I like about the with a pot interface is a) it puts raw meats up front which is almost always what I am cooking, and b) it is easier to select an item vice side scrolling the items in the no pot interface.

@s7mar7inThanks for the kind words. Understood on all and again I am not really complaining, just making observations and hoping one day some of these not really issues things are fixed. I think it would also make the code a lot cleaner and easier to maintain as having two methods for doing the same thing is always harder to maintain. I developed software for years, and one thing I hate is technical debt and code that isn't as concise and devoid of complexity as possible. That said, this is a game and the fate of NASA isn't hanging in the balance. BTW, I still manage to give myself food poisoning from time to time...not the devs fault, totally mine!!

Okay, I see now.  I'm wondering, with the food on the ground, whether you're not seeing an option because it's ruined?  Could be a failsafe HL put in for us.

Stove - the interfaces are different because you're wanting to cook something on an empty burner while the other is items you can cook in the pot.  When I'm cooking a lot of meat, I will drop it all on the ground right in front of the stove, then click and drag the item from the floor to the burner.  Goes real fast!

I do wish there were more filtering options for cooking though.  Sometimes I have a hard time getting the item I want (coffee for example) at the top of the list.

Failsafe makes sense because if you are not level 5 cooking, eating that will kill ya!!

Filtering options would be a dream! I would also like to select the default for actions. For instance, when I walk around I usually have knife, hatchet, and sometimes hacksaw on me. None of these I want to use when breaking up branches, I prefer to use hands and save wear on items. So if I could get a checkbox that said make this the default item to use when this action is performed, that would be awesome. Can still scroll and select something different, but I use hands 95% of the time, making it the default just makes the game flow better. Again, these are little things that would be nice to have and make the game more enjoyable. Every game has these little things you might wish were different...this is not a knock on HL!

Cooking: I understand that a pot is different from the stove top, however I would never have made the interface different because it does the same thing: select the item to cook. And the pot method is superior to the stove top way, so get rid of it and use the better interface. Or not, again it is a wish list item not a bug or anything.