Episode 2: the bear cave

kirkmc

Wow, this is cruel... I don't like having to use walkthroughs, but I see no choice. I think the worst thing is that after I die, I restart and the bear is right on me and ready to attack. If I go back a save, I'm miles away. Cruel. 

1 hour ago, kirkmc said:

Wow, this is cruel... I don't like having to use walkthroughs, but I see no choice. I think the worst thing is that after I die, I restart and the bear is right on me and ready to attack. If I go back a save, I'm miles away. Cruel. 

Not my favourite bit of the game so you have my sympathies..  you can go back to the earlier save and when you reach a good place that you're happy with ,then save it.  If you die again you can just reload that one instead.  

I'd offer advice but I really struggled with the whole bear thing and ended up letting my son do it..  in fairness it was badly bugged at the time.. 

Good luck👍😊

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kirkmc said:

If you go back to a save before the cave i suggest leaving all your items behind near the transition point, they wont despawn so i sued that to get everything back on my 2nd playthrough optional objectives

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

Good tip. Otherwise, do you lose everything?

Yes when he drags you to his cave he will destroy any clothes not at 90%+ and will take all items from you and you cannot get them back, keep in mind they take them from you in episode 4 but i had to restart the whole sequence cuz I couldn’t get enough materials to get to the damn the first time. The only items in the cave to retrieve are the pre spawned items

You do get your stuff back AFTER the bear cave, but not during it. 

If you've found the emergency stim, use that right before the attack if possible. If I'm not mistaken it gives you enough health to survive one bear attack. I could be wrong though; maybe that is only after you pass a certain part of the cave. 

When you spawn, is the bear literally on top of you or do you have a little time? Bears make very wide turns so it is easy to juke him if you run to his side and then run for safety while he is turning around. 

If you need help finishing the cave, the best advice I can give is either get through the cave as fast as you possibly can, or take a lot of time and wait in the crevices of the cave until you are 100% sure you can run to another crevice without the bear catching you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pencil said:

You do get your stuff back AFTER the bear cave, but not during it. 

If you've found the emergency stim, use that right before the attack if possible. If I'm not mistaken it gives you enough health to survive one bear attack. I could be wrong though; maybe that is only after you pass a certain part of the cave. 

When you spawn, is the bear literally on top of you or do you have a little time? Bears make very wide turns so it is easy to juke him if you run to his side and then run for safety while he is turning around. 

If you need help finishing the cave, the best advice I can give is either get through the cave as fast as you possibly can, or take a lot of time and wait in the crevices of the cave until you are 100% sure you can run to another crevice without the bear catching you.

No the bear in the story is an insta kill. Also you only get your stuff back if it was in the cabin. I also suggest waiting for the bear to move as in no part do you start in the same level of he cave expect the start where your meant to stealth it

1 hour ago, Moosemaster said:

No the bear in the story is an insta kill. Also you only get your stuff back if it was in the cabin. I also suggest waiting for the bear to move as in no part do you start in the same level of he cave expect the start where your meant to stealth it

Once you grab the spear, you can survive one attack. I'm not sure if you can survive it without using the emergency stim but as of 2.02 it was no longer an insta kill once you grab the spear. I would be surprised if that was changed afterwards. 

And I'm 90% sure I got all of my stuff back after completing the cave. I don't drop stuff in the cabin, and I had all of my food and tools after getting out of the cave. 

I’ve managed to get the spear a couple of times, but I’ve lost the fight and died. I tried using the stim in the backpack but that made everything fuzzy and I don’t think it helped. 

Edited by kirkmc

Tbh the episode is a good one but the only thing I hate is the scripted fog. It’s so annoying and so unnecessary because of the map. But it drives me crazy trying to get to the north tower. Also I found out that if you go to the north tower first you won’t meet the bear there for some odd reason. Yet to try it out with the south east tower but if somebody can test it and confirm if it works that’d be cool

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 7:23 PM, Moosemaster said:

Tbh the episode is a good one but the only thing I hate is the scripted fog. It’s so annoying and so unnecessary because of the map. But it drives me crazy trying to get to the north tower. Also I found out that if you go to the north tower first you won’t meet the bear there for some odd reason. Yet to try it out with the south east tower but if somebody can test it and confirm if it works that’d be cool

Just ran through this episode a couple days ago, I believe you met the Bear twice no matter what, always near the old homestead.  The second tower will have 2 wolves.  I snuck past the Bear on the north tower and didn’t have to engage him a second time.  

And I got all my gear back after the Bear cave. Then I got even more back after I returned to the trappers cabin.