Meat Bag

desertedone

I feel I really need this. I have two bears killed each at the complete opposite of the Coastal Highway map. But I can't transfer the meat to my main base Quonset. One is dead at the waterfall and the other at the entrance to Crumbling Highway. But I can't bring all the meat with me to my main base. And it's a long way.

I feel a meat bag, a bag like the moose satchel would be a good idea. 

Made with 2 cured wolf hides and 2 cured guts. I think there should be a 2nd item you can make with wolf hides. So far rabbit, moose, deer and bear hides can make 2 items at least but not wolf. This will make the Hungry Wolf Pack

Hungry Wolf Pack: Have to be slotted into the accessories (moose satchel slot). What it does is reduce the weight of meat in your bag. Also grants some warmth and reduces the scent of the meat.

Just wondering, after killing the 1st bear, why didn't you harvest and transport that one before killing another on the opposite end of the map?

You should have enough time to transport the meat before the carcass' disappear.  Just empty your inventory, run to one bear, harvest it all, back to base, then same with other bear?  Or, don't take the meat ALL the way to your base - find a temporary location you can store it in.  Or build yourself some rock caches to store the meat.

I don't think HL would add a 3rd "weight-increasing item" when we have the Technical Backpack and the Moose-Hide Satchel now.

8 hours ago, desertedone said:

Another thing to note is would be interesting if adding more meat adds more warmth to the bag as a unique feature. 

If harvested warm ;)  Could have opposite effect for frozen meat!  Seems that would be really hard to develop - dynamically calculate temperature of carried meat * weight of each piece of meat (a larger piece would stay warm longer)...yikes.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:46 AM, hozz1235 said:

Just wondering, after killing the 1st bear, why didn't you harvest and transport that one before killing another on the opposite end of the map?

You should have enough time to transport the meat before the carcass' disappear.  Just empty your inventory, run to one bear, harvest it all, back to base, then same with other bear?  Or, don't take the meat ALL the way to your base - find a temporary location you can store it in.  Or build yourself some rock caches to store the meat.

I don't think HL would add a 3rd "weight-increasing item" when we have the Technical Backpack and the Moose-Hide Satchel now.

Harvested them all but just left the meat on the ground. Didn't have capacity to hold them all. Could carry 4-5 1 kg pieces at best.

Yes, harvesting the meat fully to stop the rapid decay when it remains on the carcass is standard and being unable to carry any significant portion of it, given that one has gear and clothing, is also standard.  

I would harvest the meat in 10 kilo batches and drop them in separate piles away from the carcass (for organization purposes) then try taking things as my weight capacity allowed back to base.  

I recently started using quartering which - a bear takes 2 hours - yields up to 8 quartering bags, the bear hide, and the guts.  Being in Pilgrim I can manage 2 bags at most unless the character gets me angry where I might take a third bag and hobble slowly back to base.  Quartering bags would be half meat and half "bone" so still has to be harvested for the meat but that can be done at base.  How fast quartering bags (and their contents) decay depends on who you ask but it has some value.  

• Upvote 2