Ten thoughts

JoeBar

Just ten ideas I've had while running in the snow...

1. Meat conservation: to make the stone caches more useful, they should become the privileged way to conserve meat outside. So, why not make the meat stored outside attracting predators (+ they could also steal your meat) ?

2. Meat conservation: Salt would be a great addition (this was suggested before)

3. Possibility of an affliction (bronchitis ?) if you stay with wet or frozen clothes for too long

4. Degradation of carcasses to bones (so they don't completely disappear) + ability to use bones for crafting ?

5. There are pipes here and there ; cutting a section of it so we could syphon car tanks ? (but it would make fuel too easy to find...)

6. I frequently ask myself "where are the cups for tea coming from ? How are we able to transport drinks in a backpack ?" => hopefully will the thermos make it more realistic... (so you're not able to transport drinks without having one...)

7. Ability to forge a prybar

8. Possibility to craft a rifle with a bayonet (and fight the bear with it ?)

9. Ability to put all the fuel to a single container + empty a lamp in a container

10. What I miss the most is a sense of volume of objects : stored wood, for example, should take more space according to its volume.

What do you think of it ?

Edited by JoeBar
  • Upvote 6

2. Boiling off salt water can get you plenty of salt to preserve meat, so maybe it can only be collected naturally/renewably in coastal areas? Or, maybe you could find boxes of salt, like kosher salt, in houses? The whole food decay system would probably need to be revamped though. 

8. I an intrigued by the idea of a bayonet as a struggle weapon for a bear. Perhaps it could serve the purpose that so many want the bear spear for!

10. Personally, I am annoyed by volume-based inventory systems, most of the time. Think like NEO Scavenger. There is always empty squares  loose space filled with scraps of thread just to avoid an empty dot. I much prefer the mass-based inventory system in TLD.  However, maybe there could be some kind of punishment for carrying large items. Maybe you could have the option of dragging whole branches and limbs home, instead of breaking them down on the spot. Maybe this could be helped by the new travois item, who knows! 

13 hours ago, 49skier said:

10. Personally, I am annoyed by volume-based inventory systems, most of the time. Think like NEO Scavenger. There is always empty squares  loose space filled with scraps of thread just to avoid an empty dot. I much prefer the mass-based inventory system in TLD.  However, maybe there could be some kind of punishment for carrying large items. Maybe you could have the option of dragging whole branches and limbs home, instead of breaking them down on the spot. Maybe this could be helped by the new travois item, who knows! 

My point was more over volume "in game" than in inventory itself. I don't find logical that you can store hundreds of logs next to the fireplace in Moutaineers hut, for example... Volume-based inventory systems with "squares" are just too limited, but I think it's possible to mix weight and volume (just a calculation to do : a defined item has a weight and a volume, and your backpack has a max weight and a max volume. If max weight is reached, you walk slower ; if max volume is reached, you have to use one arm or two to carry more => no use of weapon.)

I don't have the possibility to check right now, but has anyone ever tried to put a rifle (4 kg) in a first aid kit (can contain 5 kg) ? does it work ?

Edited by JoeBar

20 hours ago, Pimprle said:

Point 4 is or was in game for some time.

Do you remember when that was? I just came back from like a three year break from this game. 

My only issue with degrading to bones is that, IRL, that takes a long, long time. Additionally, there is no way that the microorganisms necessary could be active for a long enough time to break it down. Then, when corpses are completely frozen, it would be really difficult for the larger creatures to make use of them as well. 

I think it would be cool if corpses would thaw a bit in higher temps, they might already do that, but I think it would be really unlikely that the corpses would decay to bones.

I know that this came isn't super concerned with realism, though...

On 12/12/2022 at 4:05 AM, Pimprle said:

Point 4 is or was in game for some time.

8 hours ago, 49skier said:

Do you remember when that was?

Nope, this thing was never implemented. It was only put into the trailer because it looked good. I think devs said they wanted to add it into the game, but I'm not sure why they didn't. It would be nice if over time the amount of meat in the animal and the quality of its hide and guts decreased, and once they reached 0, only bones would remain. I don't even care if they are useful, I'd just appreciate the visual.

• Upvote 1