Revolver Variants

Willy Pete

With the new rifle variants (Vaughn's rifle is my fave) I figure we're eventually going to get revolver variants and wanted to throw out my ideas on the matter. Just like the rifle, the pistol would have three variants:

Jeremiah's Revolver (or Hunting Revolver): a long-barreled revolver that deals higher damage but weighs more. It would be cool if it could also only hold 5 rounds but I understand if that's not super easy to do game-wise.

Curator's Revolver: beautiful and engraved like the Curator's rifle.

Mathis' Revolver (or Snub-Nose Revolver): a shorter barrel and smaller grip give this variant a reduced weight but increased recoil compared to the base revolver.

• Upvote 2

My thoughts on the hunting revolver would be that to maintain a 5 round cylinder, it'd likely have to a different, i.e. larger caliber than what the standard revolver uses. If we assume the standard revolver is just a .38 then bumping it up to a .44 could make sense when trying to increase power at the expense of capacity.

I don't think that the game has much precision as far as weapon performance (i.e. damage, recoil, etc.) goes. 

New skins would work but, in the end, the revolver will work as effectively or in-effectively as the user may perceive.  More ammunition types means greater probability of getting ammo that is not compatible with whatever weapon one actually has or finds, so would be unlikely.  Given the way the game's animal model treatment, more oomf means nothing for any practical purpose but as long as that is understood having a bigger muzzle flash/blast, etc., might be effective for player perception.  

21 hours ago, Willy Pete said:

@deathbydanishThey're not going to add new ammunition, though. A longer barrel would give a little more oomf without needing to add a new ammo type.

I figured they wouldn't, but this is coming from my revolver collecting, I've only ever typically seen 5 round revolvers in .38 being the small snub nosed type. In terms of customer use cases, I can't think of one that any manufacturer would go for, in which they'd create a revolver that is 5 rounds in the cylinder with a longer barrel, but in .38 caliber. 

Now its been a while since I played the game but I do know there is a reloading bench, reloaders have experimented with the parameters of the cartridge itself and can really push the performance of something mundane like a .38 into the next performance level up. If we're thinking of converting that into a game mechanic perhaps a new formulation of gunpowder that is resource intensive and requires rare components to make, but the resulting revolver ammo having much more stopping power.