Spawn Region identification - pro or con

Personally I'm against and would like to see it revert to how it was.  I choose Random to purposefully NOT know where I am (to the extent possible).  Those first minutes of survival where I'm trying to orient (while also not becoming frozen wolf lunch) are aleays some of my favorite of each run.

Especially with the new spawn points.....why spoil the refreshed challenge?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Foxhound6 said:

Personally I'm against and would like to see it revert to how it was.  I choose Random to purposefully NOT know where I am (to the extent possible).  Those first minutes of survival where I'm trying to orient (while also not becoming frozen wolf lunch) are aleays some of my favorite of each run.

Especially with the new spawn points.....why spoil the refreshed challenge?

I actually prefer having to find locations before they become available to spawn in.

That's how it was for a time and it's nice to see it back.

It also meant to every single DLC player got the same introduction to the Far Territory the first time they started it up. This makes sure that at least one time players will have to take the Long Journey to the Far Territory. And it's a very well produced introduction as well- with the transition of sounds and feelings, and more of the human and technology element- almost as if we're stepping back in time as we walk through the transition zones.

If you could just skip that initial journey of discovery on first booting it up- it would loose much of its power.

• Upvote 1

Right, I agree with that - especially given the way Raph and Katie described the thought process in designing the Transfer Pass, everyone should have to earn their way to the FT at *least* once.

What I mean is the game now telling you the region as soon as you spawn....I'd prefer it not to.

Hmmm interesting, I don't remember that happening on my two post DLC runs.

My first spawn was at night...but looking towards the lighthouse from a distance.

I think this could be to help new players a little bit because all the player spawns are new and not everyone know that quick push m for map trick.

I can totally understand that- I have many thousands of hours...but we are constantly having new players join the community- and having the region pop up would be helpful for them.

Such a warning/hint could be removed after some time...like signs for a new roundabout or 4 way stop are once people are use to them.

Yeah, not a fan of this. Figuring out where you are was a nice part of the starting experience. Usually not difficult with the very limited amount of spawn points, but with potentially more starting locations now it seems like a strange choice to negate that immediately.

Edited by Serenity

After a few more runs I have to agree with this post.

There is zero reason to put up the information on what region we have spawned in.

You added new player spawns so we would be confused about where we might be. I had a great one a few minutes ago that I was wondering where I was at until Timberwolf Mountain Region appeared on my screen. And as soon as that came up...I figured out exactly where I was in TWM.

I've also noticed that generally speaking each player spawn is within perhaps 30-40 steps from a New Location Trigger. So within 30 seconds a location trigger would pop up and from that if you know your locations you yourself would know where you are. (4 out of 4 starts since the DLC drop this has been the case).

Also if people really want to know what region there is, all they have to do is push the button for the Map whatever that is on their gameplay device...and a blnak map comes up with the Region they are in.

The player might know where they are, the character spawning in sure as heck shouldn't.

Now if this is for a limited time for new players it's understandable...but if not it makes no sense.

You said you wanted us to not know where we were, you wanted the new loot spawns and player spawn to combine to make things new again. Item Spawns are working great...but telling us where our player spawns...when you tell us right away. It's incompatible.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Perhaps a toggleable setting for those who do like that "annoucement"?

Or as I noted in my post...if it's for a limited time to get used to the new spawns great.

If it's not we have a way to check instantly if we want to know. (Check the Map) It'll be blank but you'll know the region.

It just seems wrongheaded. Hinterland says they want us to not know where you are with new player spawns...and then on spawn the game tell you right away what region you're in.

Edited by RossBondReturns
Corrections